Security Installer Community

Sending out CV's

antinode

but if you want to do intruder and nothing else //.National Installer.// would probably be best choice

37028[/snapback]

The apprentices at our office do all disciplines. Unfortunateley the smaller company's do not have the resources to train, though not through their own choice but obviously due to the cost implications. I would personally recommend a National for you apprenticeship and then maybe spread your wing's, but you never know, you may like it.. ;)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

B) When I left the RAF (after 13 years) in 1998 i completed a 6 week course on intruder alarms. I then sent CV's to every alarm company within 50 miles of my home. (all except one as I didn't like their yellow pages add)

Most of the big companys didn't respond at all, A lot of the smaller ones sent letters back saying they will keep my details on file for the day they exspand.

The funny part was I went into the office of the company that I didn't apply to to see if I could get a lid screw for my bell box. (I lost it) I ended up in an interview there and then as the owner had been sent my CV from someone else in the industry.

I got the job, it lasted for 3 months then I got made redundant due to a lack of work.

The thing is it helped me to get my food in the door.

tip: follow up with a phone call to the companys you send your CV to, If possible dont let them do all the asking of questions, try to use that time on the phone to find out what you can about the job and company. If they say thank you we have put it on file for future referance. See if you can ask some question about the company then and write down the results it may come in handy at a later date.

It worked for me

Adrian B)

37845[/snapback]

I've not even recieved a letter of aknowledgement from anyone yet, although I only sent out 6 CVs originally. There did'nt seem to be any point sending any more, as the rest looked like solo installers to me.

I've even offered my services free of charge in return for training/experience (which is what most job ads seem to be looking for), and a bit of petrol/food money, but they must think I'm some spotty high school drop out thats put an Argos alarm on his nan's shed or something, which is the opposite to what I am. To be fair, I can see why they're not willing to take the risk. A couple of them do have shop fronts though, so I suppose I could call in for a junction box or something, and mention that I'm looking/ask if they got my CV.

The apprentices at our office do all disciplines. Unfortunateley the smaller company's do not have the resources to train, though not through their own choice but obviously due to the cost implications. I would personally recommend a National for you apprenticeship and then maybe spread your wing's, but you never know, you may like it.. ;)

37898[/snapback]

I'm starting to think that too. A national would be better for training (you earn a C&G qualification with //.National Installer.//!) I've applied for Initial a few months ago, and //.National Installer.// on friday morning. //.National Installer.// don't seem to be looking for anyone at the moment. I don't want to leave it too late though, as most of these training things are only accepting 16-18 year olds, and I'm 19 in May :(

Trade Member

I've not even recieved a letter of aknowledgement from anyone yet, although I only sent out 6 CVs originally. There did'nt seem to be any point sending any more, as the rest looked like solo installers to me.

Did you only send out the CVs without calling them first? I think the better way is to call them first before you send out the CV. By calling them you get first hand information whether they are interested or not (perhaps the position is already taken) and who is in charge of personal etc. On the cover letter write the name of the (HR) person and make the letter look more personell and individual. :-) further on good luck Antinode

cheers,

cheers,

Alex

Did you only send out the CVs without calling them first? I think the better way is to call them first before you send out the CV. By calling them you get first hand information whether they are interested or not (perhaps the position is already taken) and who is in charge of personal etc. On the cover letter write the name of the (HR) person and make the letter look more personell and individual. :-) further on good luck Antinode

cheers,

38036[/snapback]

I did'nt call them first, which may be where I went wrong, but I'm beginning to think I'd be better off with a national company. I got a reply from //.National Installer.// yesterday, saying that they'll be reviewing my application in April, ready for the May trainee intake, so things are looking up.

If I remember, were'nt you looking for work in the UK Alex? How's that going?

Trade Member

Hi Antinode,

Same here. I am still looking for a position. But at the moment I am very busy finishing a distance learning course in the field of Computer Science besides my work. Thus I haven´t had much sleep over the last few weeks but the end is near. :yes: After my exams in April I plan to relocate to the London area or to an area where a good position in the field of Security Systems Designing is available for me.

cheers,

Alex

or be bold as brass..go to a company with cv and ask to speak to manager/supervisor tell them what you want to do etc...either 1..they will be so impressed they will give you a job..or 2 they wont forget you!.do that little bit extra to stand out from the crowd...as most send a cv etc...but not many people turn up on the doorstep...give it a go....

• 3 weeks later...

:cry:

Thought I'd share my own path with you....

I started out 11 years ago by setting up on my own as a subby to some local firms with less than glorious reputations, but it gave me 12 months of learning how houses & buildings in general are put together.

I then worked for five years with a local firm with a 1st class rep and this was my 'apprenticship' in security.

I put myself through loads of college courses along the way and I now work for Siemens (town centre TV) with all the benefits that entails.

I've had 3 jobs along the way, two of which were via agencies, but they wouldn't have touched me with a barge pole if I'd been inexperienced, so the sub-contracting idea paid off...

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

I got a letter back from Initial today:

"We are looking for applicants of a specific age range, which is 16-17 years old as stated in the job advertisement"

That's funny. It says 16-18 on their website :blink: B****cks to you too then.

Maybe I'll have more luck with //.National Installer.//. I hope so, because I don't have many options left after them.

Trade Member

I got a letter back from Initial today:

"We are looking for applicants of a specific age range, which is 16-17 years old as stated in the job advertisement"

That's funny. It says 16-18 on their website :blink: B****cks to you too then.

Maybe I'll have more luck with //.National Installer.//. I hope so, because I don't have many options left after them.

40951[/snapback]

Really? I'm 18 and i started last year. News to me. Hope i still have a job on Monday Morn!!

Sorry to hear that, let me know if theres any tips i can give you as someone who has just started.

All the best mate

Tom

Archived