Security Installer Community

In house multi meter testing/calibration.

Hi Guys, what kit do you use for multi meter calibration? We currently have an older version of one of these Calmaster units which seems to be a bit of a faf on to me,. Is there not something more modern that is a  maybe more automatic and produces a print out of results or is that just silly money anyway? Just wondering if this is what you guys all use also?

image.jpeg.13a2d18a4837539541c4c4fdd7675a53.jpeg

17 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

We use one of those but the bigger version 

We buy a new calibrated meter every year and check calibration against that 

Old ones eBay?

What if new calibrated meter is flawed or you get cert with that aswell 

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Old ones eBay?

What if new calibrated meter is flawed or you get cert with that aswell 

The new meter comes with a calibration certificate its calibrated at Farnell. We reuse the last years meter either in the office, I sometimes give them out to engineers when theirs fails or they lose their meter, or leave it on top of a van or whatever they do with them. 

Currently we send the Checkbox and the calibrated meter off for calibration annually. The Checkbox works but its a bit of fanny on and on current calibration the figures are never steady. We probably need new leads or maybe the connections are past their best and we need a new box.  I just thought there maybe a more modern automatic unit, guess there is little call for it to be worthwhile developing.

29 minutes ago, ian.cant said:

Currently we send the Checkbox and the calibrated meter off for calibration annually. The Checkbox works but its a bit of fanny on and on current calibration the figures are never steady. We probably need new leads or maybe the connections are past their best and we need a new box.  I just thought there maybe a more modern automatic unit, guess there is little call for it to be worthwhile developing.

Its cheaper to buy a new calibrated meter than pay the postage to and from for your meter, before you have even paid for it to be calibrated. Farnell sell a calibrated meter with cert for around £40.00.  TBF calibration is a PITA you have to get all the meters in to check them all, we give out a loan meter while the engineers is being calibrated and trying to organise getting them swapped around is like hearding squirrels sometimes. You have to get the loan back before you can do the next meter. To calibrate you need something to check current, resistance, voltage, ect, against a known calibrated meter. There is no other easy way to check calibration to my knowledge you cant just put it on a machine that does all that for you, you have to change the settings on the meter for starters. + or- 10% is acceptable 

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

ACT used to make one, we have a thing my Dad made we use.

Yeah those were the days , college teacher would have just drawn a circuit designed in there heads and said go get this and make it , and give your the parts list , fun times

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, james.wilson said:

ACT used to make one, we have a thing my Dad made we use.

I think that is the ACT Calmaster unit in the pic I posted, We have the older version which looks similar. 

Edited by ian.cant

2 hours ago, ian.cant said:

I think that is the ACT Calmaster unit in the pic I posted, We have the older version which looks similar. 

Ours is ACT in a big case, it wouldnt be hard to make something, but it wouldnt make the job any easier.