Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 keypad is backlit but otherwise dead after powercut

Hello,

We've recently suffered a couple of power cuts and after a length period of beeping from the control panel after each outage, our keypad is now inoperable.  The back light is still on, but pressing the keys appears to do nothing (produces no audible or visible change).

I've taken the front cover off the keypad and expected some sort of anti-tamper alarm to start sounding, but nothing.  No visible signs of damage to the circuit board.  Control panel light is still on.  Any ideas what may have gone wrong?  The system is at least 8 years old I think.  Was there when we moved in.

Many thanks for your help,

Graham,

Yep sounds like failure due to lack of maintenance. They are pretty basic panels and show no obvious warnings of potential failure until they don't work.

You maybe lucky and the charging circuit recovers when the system is checked, battery replaced and power cycled.

Someone that knows what they are doing is a sensible idea. It's going to need a full check you haven't mentioned the external box sounding which is also of concern.

29 minutes ago, GrahamB said:

So you reckon I should pay someone to sort it out?

I'm saying it needs a service as a minimum that will also confirm if anything is damaged (it will be but maybe not fully failed yet) 

Like a car etc it needs serving and you can either get it done or service it yourself 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 hours ago, GrahamB said:

Do you have any links to documentation for this make / model?  Such as a downloadable service manual.  I'm reasonably technically minded.

Sorry as we have no way of vetting people that come here therefore, we are unable to provide engineering manuals for panels, for all we know you could be someone looking to compromise a security system. 

Your not going to find anything like that in the engineers manual, the manufacturers expect competence from industry training. They are not sold to end users.

Even if you are capable of working with electronics and electrical installations knowledge of the programming and industry terms is were most have an issue.

The closest thing to a generic service guide can be found on ACT website. Many of the tests you should be comparing to the readings on the commissioning paperwork, without this you'll need to use your experience of the systems.

By the time you have bought the equipment and tested it out, you could have had a guy do it?

Posted (edited)

Getting someone else to do it is always easier and less time consuming.  Some people don't like to be dependent on others, although it's not always possible.  I do my own electrics in the house, plumbing, building work and car maintenance.  Pretty much the only thing I don't do is gas work.  I don't grow my own food either, although I could probably turn my hand to it in a bind.  I recognise that electronics systems are non trivial and the alarm system may pose a significant, perhaps insurmountable, challenge.

Edited by GrahamB
Grammar