Security Installer Community

Gardtec 360/580 keypad panel black screen after attempting to change battery

After turning off an electrical circuit to change some smoke alarms, we noticed the bell alarm for the Gardtec 360/580 sounding.

I understand that this indicates a dead battery in the control panel.

So we bought a new battery and attempted to replace it. I did not turn off the mains power, nor did I remove the fuse.

I just opened the panel box, removed the old battery and installed the new one. During this time, the external bell alarm sounded.

However the keypad had a black screen and would not accept any user input to silence it.

After replacing the lid and putting in the screw, the user keypad stayed black,

So I put in the old battery and the situation remained the same. In the end, we disconnected the battery, pulled out the fuse and waited 15 minutes for the bell alarm to stop.

I am baffled as to why the user keypad stayed black the whole time. Recently it was working normally.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.

IMG_20240804_104329084_1.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Tony59 said:

After turning off an electrical circuit to change some smoke alarms, we noticed the bell alarm for the Gardtec 360/580 sounding.

I understand that this indicates a dead battery in the control panel.

So we bought a new battery and attempted to replace it. I did not turn off the mains power, nor did I remove the fuse.

I just opened the panel box, removed the old battery and installed the new one. During this time, the external bell alarm sounded.

However the keypad had a black screen and would not accept any user input to silence it.

After replacing the lid and putting in the screw, the user keypad stayed black,

So I put in the old battery and the situation remained the same. In the end, we disconnected the battery, pulled out the fuse and waited 15 minutes for the bell alarm to stop.

I am baffled as to why the user keypad stayed black the whole time. Recently it was working normally.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.

IMG_20240804_104329084_1.jpeg

Fuse inside panel on PCB blown?

Although maybe it's dead 

if the previous battery had totally failed it may have destroyed the panel.

You need to check the charger circuit. This panel should be outputting 13.75v to the battery when the battery is disconnected.

SHould be around that when fully charged too

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

if the previous battery had totally failed it may have destroyed the panel.

You need to check the charger circuit. This panel should be outputting 13.75v to the battery when the battery is disconnected.

SHould be around that when fully charged too

Thanks for the advice. Do you mean that I should measure the voltage between the leads that connect to the battery and get a voltage (potential difference) of around 13.75v ?

lets guess at 25 years old ?

if there is no voltage at the keypad check the fuses

if there is voltage at the keypad get your hand in you pocket & buy new controls...

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God