Security Installer Community

Wiring detectors in series.

john123

I would really like to solve this ongoing problem!

I have a scantronic 9448+ control panel which blew the 12V fuse.  The alarm company told me it was a fault in a 40ft long 4 core cable to 2 old detectors in series.  I checked the cable but no short and continuity OK etc so rather than replacing the wire, the alarm guys gave me 2 Texecom capture P15s to try.   The control panel seems to have all the resistors already there.

My first question is; 4 core cable 12V and 0V wires obvious. Do I then take wires from A (alarm) and D(tamper) back to the control panel as shown on the box for EOL? Do I need to set the resistor in the P15s as the control panel has these.

Secondly, if this works for one  P15 how do I connect 2 P15s in series? Do I connect A to D then C to 2nd detector A or B then back to control panel from D ? The detectors will connect through a wall, short cable for 2 rooms. Do I need to change the resistor setting in the P15s.

I have lots of Photos if helpful. Really would appreciate any solution. 

Many thanks,

John123

I

Your only using one pair for alarm and tamper if your using eol

There must be another reason the resistors are in the panel and not in the detectors , maybe short cut when last panel change took place

Apart from that I don't remember 9448 using resistors anyway but might be me, thought it was a global tamper , old scrap panel needs to go anyway 

So where are your pictures?

Edited by al-yeti

AFAIK the 9448 isn't an eol panel

You also shouldn't wire more than 1 sensor to a circuit

I'd be interested in the photos. 

If not eol you can't have a tamper circuit and an alarm circuit on 2 wires. 

If it is eol you can't make it work as you will have issues when both detw otrs are active unless you have a 6 core between the detecrors

I assume it's a daisy chain and not 2 wires at the panel? 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Scantronic 9448+ V3.1 zone 4 disconnected (Blue wire in place of).

P15 sensor.

I plan to connect A and B to Zone4 (as in diagram) and see if this works (indicating 4 core cable is intact). 

I then want to connect a second P15 in series but unsure which sensor connections to link in series. Do I need to do anything with the variable resistors in the P15 sensors?  Very grateful for an easy explanation! Many thanks. John

alarm10.jpg

alarm11.jpg

alarm12.jpg

alarm14.jpg

alarm15.jpg

alarm13.jpg

2 hours ago, john123 said:

Scantronic 9448+ V3.1 zone 4 disconnected (Blue wire in place of).

P15 sensor.

I plan to connect A and B to Zone4 (as in diagram) and see if this works (indicating 4 core cable is intact). 

I then want to connect a second P15 in series but unsure which sensor connections to link in series. Do I need to do anything with the variable resistors in the P15 sensors?  Very grateful for an easy explanation! Many thanks. John

alarm10.jpg

alarm11.jpg

alarm12.jpg

alarm14.jpg

alarm15.jpg

alarm13.jpg

You want to use o/c

Alarms as you said 

Tampers in series at the panel and between detectors where required 

14 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

For the reasons outlined above the cable needs replacing either way, probably best with an 8 core.

A single PIR should be a 6 core at least with a double pole panel. You can run two PIR's on an 8 core double pole.

EOL wiring/resistors will not work on a double pole panel.

You shouldn't put multiple devices of this type on a single zone, which is why you won't find a manual/guide instructing this.

If you really have to reuse the 4 core you should upgrade equipment and use a BUS type device or expander.

17 minutes ago, john123 said:

The other detectors have a short non resisted wire joining alarm and tamper (B and D). Do I need to do this in the P15 to complete the loop with 4 core? Thanks. John.

alarm16.jpg

Pyronix Magum ?

The link is pointless as it will only work when the alarm is set....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God