Security Installer Community

Some Alarm Installation Advice Please

Hi, I need some advice please in order to select which product to favour and which installer to approach.

I have had a scantronic 9448 for the last 30 years. Worked fine, give or take some party balloons and large spiders giving false alarms.

My service company and I have just parted company because they sent an engineer for the annual service who was not trained to service Scantronics.

The result was that he left me with a system that went into alarm if set, this after he factory defaulted the unit from the box.

I managed to get the system working again by programming zone 3 into the E/E group. But the unit will not accept any further program changes.

So now my wife and I have 10 seconds the get out of and back into the house.

THE ADVICE PLEASE.

I cannot find a local Scantronic maintainer so will need to replace the system, 

I do not want and cannot use a wireless system due to my house construction.

The existing wiring is 6 cores to three of my sensors but the other three used two cores each and were daisy chained.

Running new cables to each sensor is not an option. 

I have a dissused telephone cable run available. I could use this to link up one new terminal position that replaces one of the three links sensors.

First question is can the installer use telephone twisted pair cable? Not best practice and risky for breaks I would suspect. But desperation times .....

This would leave me with two sensors and six wires.

I am loath to consider two sensors on one zone, and am led to believe that you cannot mix two wire sensor zones with 4 or 6 wire zones.

So second question is can the installer use the + and - wires from one zone to power a sensor on another zone?

This would allow 4 wires, 2 shared power plus alarm / tamper per sensor. If this is the case then it increases the choice of replacement controller.

Many thanks.

Most younger engineers won't have been born when the 9448 came out.

Telephone cable is not suitable for alarms.

Two detectors on a zone is equally poor practice.

People come here often say either rewiring and/or wireless is not an option, but it's unlikely either is the case.

I'd find a proper company by explaining your situation in a call to them, but they'll probably want to upgrade your panel before taking it on.

Hi Sixwheeledbeast,

Thank you. I bought the 9448 shortly after Mafeking was relieved. 

Shame about the Telephone cable but may be able to use it to pull through new alarm cable.

Wireless is an issue when your home is built in semi-engineering brick.

High metal content is not good for Wi-Fi. L shaped house with sensors in other section to the control panel.

Cutting through Karndean flooring to reach existing sensors takes the task outside of our pension scope.

Trying to drill through engineering brick is a challenge and there is a 2 metre dead zone between house sections.

The panel will be upgraded but would prefer not to use a 2 wire system.

Scantronic 2 wire i-on 10 or Pyronix EURO76 seem to be front runners.

Trouble is every supplier I contact has there own favourites and trashes other brands.

Tried Which for guidance but they only favour wireless systems.

Definitely do not want two detectors on one zone. Hence my question about using one + and - to drive two sensors on different zones.

Probably seems a daft question if the + and - cables need to be involved in an activation situation?

Many thank, Delboy

Some systems are mesh, as you have some wiring, receivers can likely be distributed throughout the system if it's really necessary.

Pneumatic drills with decent bits fly through engineering brick or even concrete and rebar. I have yet to find a job that's not possible...

Two sensors on a 6-core is possible via EOL wiring, which most systems are now.

For control panels they mostly do the same stuff and every installer has there own preferred kit they have trained on, if your DIY'ing a one off it probably doesn't matter.

Proper systems are not designed for installation by end users, so your not going to find reviews. You will possibly also struggle to get manufacturer support or manuals at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MKDelboy said:

Hi Sixwheeledbeast,

Thank you. I bought the 9448 shortly after Mafeking was relieved. 

Shame about the Telephone cable but may be able to use it to pull through new alarm cable.

Wireless is an issue when your home is built in semi-engineering brick.

High metal content is not good for Wi-Fi. L shaped house with sensors in other section to the control panel.

Cutting through Karndean flooring to reach existing sensors takes the task outside of our pension scope.

Trying to drill through engineering brick is a challenge and there is a 2 metre dead zone between house sections.

The panel will be upgraded but would prefer not to use a 2 wire system.

Scantronic 2 wire i-on 10 or Pyronix EURO76 seem to be front runners.

Trouble is every supplier I contact has there own favourites and trashes other brands.

Tried Which for guidance but they only favour wireless systems.

Definitely do not want two detectors on one zone. Hence my question about using one + and - to drive two sensors on different zones.

Probably seems a daft question if the + and - cables need to be involved in an activation situation?

Many thank, Delboy

Seems the euro76 is best option although I'm don't know much about it, ion 10 is pointless if you need expanders and wireless bits to add on later

You will end up taking the ion 10 out 

Wireless is not an issue if you know what to do with it as above mesh systems make this problem mostly a thing of past 

18 hours ago, MrHappy said:

does the irish tat do serial devices off normal alarm cable ?

Irish tat will do devices off any cable lol

Or 10 off each leg 🍗 

Edited by al-yeti