Security Installer Community

Some Alarm Installation Advice Please

Hi Sixwheeledbeast,

Many thanks for the advice. I am more comfortable now I can forget the Scantronic option.

I do not intend to try a DIY installation. I do intend to have the cabling in place myself.

I took your advice that there is no such thing as cannot.

Rather than trying to use the original cables for the three daisy chained sensors, I looked at covering two of the rooms from alternative accessable points.

By coming from the loft I can cut through the first floor in cuboards to lay two new sensor positons, leaving just one of the three sensors on the original 6 core.

The issue with my semi engineering brickwork was not how to break through them, that's already done. The issue is they seem to be Wi-Fi unfriendly.

Sky mesh was a disaster for me. I feel more comfortable now that I can install a wired system with options to Wi-Fi extend if the need arises.

Thank you once again.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MKDelboy said:

Hi Sixwheeledbeast,

Many thanks for the advice. I am more comfortable now I can forget the Scantronic option.

I do not intend to try a DIY installation. I do intend to have the cabling in place myself.

I took your advice that there is no such thing as cannot.

Rather than trying to use the original cables for the three daisy chained sensors, I looked at covering two of the rooms from alternative accessable points.

By coming from the loft I can cut through the first floor in cuboards to lay two new sensor positons, leaving just one of the three sensors on the original 6 core.

The issue with my semi engineering brickwork was not how to break through them, that's already done. The issue is they seem to be Wi-Fi unfriendly.

Sky mesh was a disaster for me. I feel more comfortable now that I can install a wired system with options to Wi-Fi extend if the need arises.

Thank you once again.

So good thing the alarm is not using your WiFi right?

I think that's a sensible approach.

Find a company that is willing to work with you doing the first fix.

If you haven't started yet you can explain what you will do and they can approve it first.

I have heard lots of bad reports about Sky boxes but it's probably not helpful to rule out wireless alarms completely because of this.

The difference is the bandwidth and frequency is completely different.

Your comparing small amounts of data on the lesser used 868Mhz. WiFi is in the 2.4-7.2Ghz ranges depending on version, higher frequency busy bands but you also require high bandwidth to stream video.

Wireless can be a dark art but as a rule the higher the frequency the less wall penetration and more reflection you will have.