Security Installer Community

Tamper alarm when vacuum cleaner used

Glyn Jones

I have a hybrid self installed alarm system installed 12 years ago. This is a bungalow with all wiring and control boxes within the loft. Control boxes are fixed to the wall and all wiring is cleated. This started a few months ago. Every time our Dyson vacuum cleaner is used in the dining room the tamper alarm sounds and clears itself after a few minutes. This does not happen if the Dyson is "used" switched off. There is a wired alarm pir in the room. There is only wiring above this room. The wireless receiver is above a different room. There are five wired pirs, a door sensor and two remote wireless pirs. Anyone ever experienced this and can suggest what it may be? Could it be the Dyson blocking the wireless signal?  Installation is Honenywell Accenta control panel with an ESP INF-RX8 wireless receiver, this is mounted some distance from the control panel to be line of site to the remote pirs. System has been 100% reliable and never given any false alarms.

41 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

if you remove the mains to the panel does this still occur. This will show if the 'noise' is coming in via the mains supply or another way

Could be induction but that would normally be if the cables are run next to the mains, and Im not sure that the dyson would cause enough noise.

Does the ESP have separate tamper connections, can you see it via a browser or software? It may be a case of dissing things till you find whats tampering thats the problem with global tampers 

sounds like a refrigerator problem...

You probably have a hellhound called Zuul who is the Gatekeeper of Gozer living in some sort of parallel dimension within the fridge ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Thanks for the suggestions - mains disconnected had no effect.  Yes there is a tamper output from the ESP but it is too old to have had the facility to view it. here is an LCD display but very difficult to get to that part of the roof space. Less nimble than I was 12 years ago and need to get above and below central heating pipes through a very narrow opening.  I have a couple of ideas, I can switch off the brush bar motor on the Dyson and try it that way and remove the ESP from the tamper loop.  I didn't mention that this only happens once, you can vacuum again in the same room and it doesn't happen again.

I would expect that to be transmitted via the mains tho? I suppose looking back we didn't clarify if it was a mains vacuum and not a battery powered one?

If it's mains powered does the outlet it's plugged into effect the result?

Motor suppressors are usually just a class X2 cap with a bleed resistor across the line/neutral. Something that could be tested and replaced if it had failed.

12 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I would expect that to be transmitted via the mains tho? I suppose looking back we didn't clarify if it was a mains vacuum and not a battery powered one?

If it's mains powered does the outlet it's plugged into effect the result?

Motor suppressors are usually just a class X2 cap with a bleed resistor across the line/neutral. Something that could be tested and replaced if it had failed.

So those mains suppressor things won't help on the panel end in this case ?