Security Installer Community

Should I change to wireless alarm ????

Guest cjo1964

Guest cjo1964

Hi, I am an Automation Engineer with Royal Mail (electrical/electronic bias) and would like some professional advice.

I moved into my current house 7 years ago and inherited a fully hard wired GARDINER TECHNOLOGY DIAMOND 500 (GARDTEC???) that is looking a bit tired.

I have considered removing the system and replacing it with a wirefree system that I would install myself (fully capable etc electrical engineer for last 20yrs!) and every time I try to move the infra red pir devices the alarm goes off even though it has not been set (anti tamper device i believe!). Is there any way of deactivating this system short of removing the power supply to the control panel and bellbox and letting the backup battery die?

If anyone knows this system, is there any way that alternative upgraded pirs could be fitted in place of the old ones and can the current bellbox be changed to a new version without upsetting the system?

If the upgrade option is cheaper, I will go for that, but if not I will rip it all out and fit a wirefree system.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Any non public communications can be sent to my email at:-

rmengineer@hotmail.com

Thanks for your anticipated help.

:rolleyes:

I'd only advise fitting a wireless alarm if there were no alternatives and I'd steer clear of the budget end.

Your panel may look tired, but it is probably fine for the job and it sounds like it works ok.

It would probably work out less expensive to have your hardwired system upgraded(If it needs it) than it would to buy a quality wirefree system and install it yourself.

You really should consider getting an alarm installer out to check the existing system and advise you of you options.

Again I stress, don't replace what you have with a cheap DIY wireless system.

If you don't know......ask.

Dont fit a wireless fullstop as far as im concerned, if the current system needs an upgrade then the existing wiring will no doubt be sound and can be reused.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Don't fit a wirefree system, the only decent ones are more expensive than their wired counterparts.

As you already have the wiring I would suggest a wired system. If your existing system is working then there's no real need to change it. Your best option would be to have an alarm engineer service the existing system.

Worst case is that the panel, external siren and a couple of PIR's need to be changed and to have this done by a reputable firm wouldn't cost a ridiculous amount, and you'd have a far better system than any wirefree alarm you could go out and buy and fit yourself.

Guest cjo1964

cheers Brian/Monteey.

Point noted.

I shall check out the upgrade option.

Nice to see good experience been put to good use out there!

Too many so called dodgy "diy-ers" out there!!!!

Keep it up.

:yes:

If you post you location no dount someone on here will be more than willing to give you more exacting advice on what to do with your system.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest cjo1964
If you post you location no dount someone on here will be more than willing to give you more exacting advice on what to do with your system.

37972[/snapback]

I live in Slough in Berkshire

Archived