Security Installer Community

Optima 2 Plus

Guest Paul Vaughan

Guest Paul Vaughan

I have the alarm Optima 2 plus that was fitted when I purchased my house.

Recently when I have a power cut the external siren goes off.

The key pad has no power so cannot reset.

I have to wait until the power is back on before it can be reset.

Is this normal??

What may cause this problem and how can I fix it?

or

Can I disconnect the alarm as I have never set it in the 9 years I have lived there?

Thanks for any help

Paul

The bell and alarm batteries are probably useless.

If you dont want to use the alarm then remove them and remove the fuse supplying the mains to the alarm.

Or

Get an engineer out to service it for you and give it a new lease of life.

Post your location if you want offers of a visit.

Guest Paul Vaughan
The bell and alarm batteries are probably useless.

If you dont want to use the alarm then remove them and remove the fuse supplying the mains to the alarm.

Or

Get an engineer out  to service it for you and give it a new lease of life.

Post your location if you want offers of a visit.

42766[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies.

I will try the battery.

I am in High Wycombe, Bucks.

Paul

Guest Paul Vaughan
Dont just replace the battery check the charging circuit under load.

If you just replace the battery and the charging circuits gone you will only cure the fault for a few months,and then you will be back to square one minus the cost of the new battery.

42790[/snapback]

I have tried a different battery (12V car one) and this does stopped the siren going off.

But how do I check the circuit under load?

If I do need to buy a battery where would be best, I have a Yuasa NP6-12 at present.

Thanks

Paul

Hi all,

As what the others have said panel battery is flat and will require replacement.

However the ADE optima panels have a nasty resistor located behind the keypad, if the battery has gone completely flat, before fitting the new one have a look behind, this resistor is quite big, you will probabaly need a torch.

If it's burnt out then it's not worth repairing. In most cases it should be fine. If you put the battery in without checking this you'll find that the panel throws out nasty white smoke and doesn't last very long.

Then check to see if the battery is charging, put a multi meter across the battery leads to see is there is voltage there, should be 13volts dc. put the battery on and test again, the reading may fall sightly. There are other checks but that'll basically let you know.

Adrain at TEAM SECURITY will back me up on the resistor thing for all of you who think I'm talking rubbish. It's a common fault with ADE's panels.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest Paul Vaughan

I have disconnected it for now.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with the problem.

Best Regards to all

Paul

Hi pete,

Didn't want to try and explain how to connect the meter in series and swapping the v lead to amps, if he'd of blow a fuse by doing it wrong it'll only of come back to me. I thought it would give him a basic idea of if the panel was totally bugg*rd or not without blinding him with science.... lol but you are right with what you've said. I find it hard trying to explain it without going into too much detail which is why I always suggest getting someone out to have a little look at it.

And old eng once said to me... blind them with science, or baffel them with bs. :blink:

Wasn't much good at either of them but usally left it working.... ^_^

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived