Security Installer Community

Big(ish) alarm companies in the North West area?

antinode

They are one of, if not, the best security alarm company in the country.

Thats a bit rich coming from you! Normally you do nothing but slag them off.

Pleased to see theyre looking after you now and happy and settled there.

Alternatly move to Worting and give us a call (to far to comute)

Pete

44306[/snapback]

Only round the corner I suppose :w00t:

whisle:

I sent an application to //.National Installer.// a couple of months ago and they said they'll get back to me in April. I dunno if they're fobbing me off or what, but I suppose they'd be perfect if it were'nt for the 4 year long training programme. That's a bit much for me, I think. I've tried Argus, same story as Expo-Link and Pier Alarms really, and I'm not sure I wanna spend the rest of my life fitting ADE Accentas in three bed semis (no offence to anyone that works for Pier Alarms of course!) Initial said I'm too old for their training programme, even though I'm well within the age range on their website. I did'nt even know Black Box were still going!

Trade Member

Only round the corner I suppose :w00t:

whisle:

I sent an application to //.National Installer.// a couple of months ago and they said they'll get back to me in April. I dunno if they're fobbing me off or what, but I suppose they'd be perfect if it were'nt for the 4 year long training programme. That's a bit much for me, I think. I've tried Argus, same story as Expo-Link and Pier Alarms really, and I'm not sure I wanna spend the rest of my life fitting ADE Accentas in three bed semis (no offence to anyone that works for Pier Alarms of course!) Initial said I'm too old for their training programme, even though I'm well within the age range on their website. I did'nt even know Black Box were still going!

44356[/snapback]

What is it you want to do and what qualifications do you have exactly?

You are maybe being a bit too picky I think, Have you been working with Pier Alarms, or just getting some work experience or what?

//.National Installer.// do 4 years training for a reason, Its taken me 12 years to feel that I am competent enough to go it alone and I only do CCTV.

How much do you want to be a security engineer? or maybe you'd prefer sitting at a desk?

Get yourself a part time job to cover your daily outgoings, and with the spare time, offer your services for free to all the local security companies maybe a day or 2 a week. You will only probably pull off cables and gopher tools but you will have the opportunity to learn hands on, and learn the stuff that makes money for the company employing you. If your looking for an easier life as an engineer then find a company that has blue chip clients.

Chances are you will get to know a company that you fit well into and they are more likely to take you on full time when they can.

What is it you want to do and what qualifications do you have exactly?

You are maybe being a bit too picky I think, Have you been working with Pier Alarms, or just getting some work experience or what?

//.National Installer.// do 4 years training for a reason, Its taken me 12 years to feel that I am competent enough to go it alone and I only do CCTV.

How much do you want to be a security engineer? or maybe you'd prefer sitting at a desk?

Get yourself a part time job to cover your daily outgoings, and with the spare time, offer your services for free to all the local security companies maybe a day or 2 a week. You will only probably pull off cables and gopher tools but you will have the opportunity to learn hands on, and learn the stuff that makes money for the company employing you. If your looking for an easier life as an engineer then find a company that has blue chip clients.

Chances are you will get to know a company that you fit well into and they are more likely to take you on full time when they can.

44358[/snapback]

I just want to be a security systems installation engineer. I've got my GCSEs and a couple of things from college, but nothing at all in this area apart from my own knowledge, which probably does'nt count for anything if they're gonna be training me up anyway. My comment about Pier Alarms was just a joke. I'll take anything at the minute aslong as it's gonna be of any use to me and there's a good chance of a more permanent position at the end of it.

I completely understand what you're saying in respect to training: it's an ongoing thing for sure, but four years on just a training wage is going to be difficult, especially if I'm gonna be driving to and from Liverpool/Manchester twice a day, and I'm going to be 23 before I've even started work properly. I appreciate that there's alot of work involved, but it's not the best option at the mo. I don't mind working free for a local company, just aslong as I can eat, but there are'nt many "local" companies willing to do that, it seems. I dunno. It just feels like I'm looking for something that's not there.

Trade Member

44356[/snapback]

antinode as you are aware we recently interviewed for trainee security engineers. Some feed back none of which are personnel and which may or may not assist. We had 42 applications, which were short listed to just 8. Two trainees were appointed. Both were local lads neither had any previous experience. Both were in full time employment. Both have taken pay drops to work here (one has a new BMW). We interviewed only 2 people with previous experience both had preconceived ideas of what the job was about (fast format, dual loops, cables under carpets etc). Last week we lost a newly qualified engineer who has taken a place with a Gold company in WIGAN. I for one haven’t got a clue how you get a job in this industry!

Jef

Customers!

Archived