Security Installer Community

Need some advice on DIY shop installation

Guest jerry23

Guest jerry23

Hi all, this is my first post so take it easy on me :boxing: I am looking to purchase a DVR & 4 cameras to install in my shop. I do have an electrical background so running of cables etc is not a problem. Any advice on equipment type. How easy would it be to remotely access the DVR from home and view recordings? Would the broadband connection be needed at shop or home?

Without knowing exectly what you want to be able to see and the layout and size of the shop it's pretty much impossible to provide an accurate answer. Have you thought about getting a local firm in to do the job and\or give advice? Some companies would be happy for you to run in all the cables for them to come and connect the cameras etc... and commision the system.

Have you got a budget for this system? You may be stretching it too far if you're wanting to keep it cheap. You could start with a DVR and 1 or 2 cameras if this is the case and expand it later rather than cutting quality now to get more cameras in.

Have you searched the forum for other posts on camera and lens selection? There's a lot to learn and there are a few threads on this.

For remote viewing you really want a broadband connection at both ends, it can be done over dial up but the quality and framerate isn't up to much.

Guest jerry23
Without knowing exectly what you want to be able to see and the layout and size of the shop it's pretty much impossible to provide an accurate answer. Have you thought about getting a local firm in to do the job and\or give advice? Some companies would be happy for you to run in all the cables for them to come and connect the cameras etc... and commision the system.

Have you got a budget for this system? You may be stretching it too far if you're wanting to keep it cheap. You could start with a DVR and 1 or 2 cameras if this is the case and expand it later rather than cutting quality now to get more cameras in.

Have you searched the forum for other posts on camera and lens selection? There's a lot to learn and there are a few threads on this.

For remote viewing you really want a broadband connection at both ends, it can be done over dial up but the quality and framerate isn't up to much.

47837[/snapback]

Guest jerry23

thanks for the time & advice. Do you know of any web sites that take you through the process of lens calculation or would a variofocal be the best option?

thanks for the time & advice. Do you know of any web sites that take you through the process of lens calculation or would a variofocal be the best option?

47943[/snapback]

There are a few sites somewhere, most of them contradict each other and get you even more confused, run before you can walk type of thing. A decent varifocal should do you, again, couldn't tell you which exactly though. ;)

Jerry

Why are you wanting to do this yourself?

If you want to use the system to prosecute thieves then you need to make sure the cameras are set up right so that the images they catch can be used as evidence. If you are wanting to just monitor your staff to make sure they are working etc, then you need to register the system with the Information Commissioner.

You don't really need a broadband connection at your shop if you aren't bothered about the quality of your remote view images in live view, to play back old recordings you can download the file you want. Saying all that broadband would be the obvious choice for a reasonably working remote access feature.

As for lenses, you can buy cameras with vari focal lenses built in, these are usually very reasonable cameras and work out a bit cheaper than a separate lens and camera combo.

Varifocals are popular simply because they are more flexible to use; although generally they are optically inferior to quality fixed focal length lenses.

If you put a good lens on a less than perfect camera, it will probably look o.k.; if you put a c****y lens on a top notch camera, you've basically wasted your money.

It's sadly amazing how often I come across quality cameras with some cheap bit of glass pretending to be a lens, stuck on the front almost as an after thought. From experience I'd have to say that the item least considered, and perhaps most misunderstood is the humble lens ... now how sad is that? :cry:

D.J.

http://www.doktorjon.co.uk

Archived