Security Installer Community

screen cable

Guest eddiefast

they do make a small composite cable with small coax and 4 cores, not much bigger than normal 8-core. cant remember where i got it from, think it may have been Quing cables.

chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Eddie

If it is just Screened alarm cable you want then i would suggest going to somewere like Gardiner Security Ltd, Norbain ect. I would say however i don't recommend using screened alarm cable on standard CCTV cameras with out any converters as it is recommended that the cable has a 75 Ohm tolerance

Mark

51428[/snapback]

Normal TP cable has impedance of 100ohms (which should be 75ohms when transmitting video signal). With short wire runs I haven't noticed any significant loss in picture quality but still I would consider it as DIY. What comes to UK-type alarm cable - I don't have a slightest idea what sort of impedance it would give if measured - it might work quite ok or not.

There are also other qualities in the video cable than impedance (discussed somewhere here, don't remember where).

I have give up with screened as i had a few problems on longer runs. So i now use coax for all cameras no mater how far from dvr/vcr/mux and run power on its own, ok more work. But you know at the end of the job it will work 1st time every time.

I would agree with whistle on most jobs & all commercial.

However on very small domestic installs where most of the cablingis in the attic but some needs to be surface run screened cable can be a good alternative.

Cat5 is not a good cable to surface run neatly.

Archived