Security Installer Community

Baxall DVR & Multiplexers

Ive just aquired a Baxall 320GB 960CE DVR recorder with Ethernet, i understand these are single channel recorders... Ive not used single channel before, and not baxalls, but this is going to be for my home, and i know Baxalls gear tends to be good, like there DSP cameras, well most of there camera range....

Anyway the question is im going to need a multiplexer to record multiple images / cameras. This will enable the recording of more than 1 camera, but can I view the camera recordings individually or will it be on a segmented screen like in multiplexed view..... Because on the 4 channel ones you can do this.

I may be able to get a baxall ZMX+ to go with this.....

Anyone used any of these units, and are they compatable, I take it they will be, being there from the same manufacturer, and i know Tyco / //.National Installer.// fit these... Anyone have anything to say about any of these units, are they any good..?

Also PC connectivity, I have the Wavelet software but can the ZMX+ Be controlled From a PC or even setup....?

Any info would be helpfull guys

Dean

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Its the 96CE not 960CE, Basically i just want to know if when i add the multiplexer can i play back the images seperately or will they play back in Quad view etc..... Also with the Baxall Remote software be able to switch to single view or will it be governned by the setting on the Multiplexor, cant they be link together ?

cheers

Dean

Its the 96CE not 960CE, Basically i just want to know if when i add the multiplexer can i play back the images seperately or will they play back in Quad view etc..... Also with the Baxall Remote software be able to switch to single view or will it be governned by the setting on the Multiplexor, cant they be link together ?

cheers

Dean

53661[/snapback]

Basically whatever you see on your screen if you looped the video through a monitor first would be what you record.

You need a multiplexer that is suitable for the DVR timings. Basically the images from the multiplexer would be a series of images depending on amount of cameras connected, The DVR needs to record at the same rate as the images coming from the mux for it to be able to encode and decode properly.

You may have a quad that creates a quad screen and records that onto dvr, the images will only be a zoom of 1/4 of the screen that way though.

Basically whatever you see on your screen if you looped the video through a monitor first would be what you record.

You need a multiplexer that is suitable for the DVR timings. Basically the images from the multiplexer would be a series of images depending on amount of cameras connected, The DVR needs to record at the same rate as the images coming from the mux for it to be able to encode and decode properly.

You may have a quad that creates a quad screen and records that onto dvr, the images will only be a zoom of 1/4 of the screen that way though.

53670[/snapback]

So is it not possible, to playback them back or watch them camera at a time ? Is there no way of no seeing them, say if i had 4 cameras, in a 4 split view, would there be no way even if the dvr recorded this view, be able to play them back one at a time ?

I know the Baxall Mux im looking at is a decent one, is there no way of linking the mux and DVR say via RS232 and doing it that way ?

Basically i want to record from 4 cameras onto the DVR via a mux and be able to view the cameras seperately via the remote software, but more importantly the playback of the ecordings individually, i dont want to have to watch the playback of all 4 cameras at once ..... Is it possible?

cheers

Dean

Unless you get a Mux that can be matched to the DVR, then just viewing the images like you say i doubt will be possible.

and basically the remote softawre would have to reproduce the remote image identical to the mux, or be able to decode the mux video information.

Buy yourself a DVR/MUX combo and use the DVR for your TV :)

Anyway the question is im going to need a multiplexer to record multiple images / cameras. This will enable the recording of more than 1 camera, but can I view the camera recordings individually or will it be on a segmented screen like in multiplexed view..... Because on the 4 channel ones you can do this.

The 4 channel DVR's have a mux built in so to speak which is why you can view any of the 4 inputs as a single channel.

A single channel recorder allows you to record a single channel so if you put 4 cameras into a mux then put the mux monitor out into the DVR your still only recording a single channel input, just with 4 pictures in that input.

Basically if you want to record more than 1 camera then you need a DVR capable of doing this. Put the single channel DVR back on Ebay and buy something that will do the job. :whistle:

The 4 channel DVR's have a mux built in so to speak which is why you can view any of the 4 inputs as a single channel.

A single channel recorder allows you to record a single channel so if you put 4 cameras into a mux then put the mux monitor out into the DVR your still only recording a single channel input, just with 4 pictures in that input.

Basically if you want to record more than 1 camera then you need a DVR capable of doing this. Put the single channel DVR back on Ebay and buy something that will do the job. :whistle:

53749[/snapback]

Personally I have never had any dealings with single channel DVR's and multiplexers, Ian, do you know anything about mux compatible field/frame rates so as to be used with a single channel DVR ?

I'm wondering if something like an old robot duplex mux can use the single channel DVR? A robot quad would proably work ok, but the screen would still be a blown up quarter.

Personally I have never had any dealings with single channel DVR's and multiplexers, Ian, do you know anything about mux compatible field/frame rates so as to be used with a single channel DVR ?

I'm wondering if something like an old robot duplex mux can use the single channel DVR? A robot quad would proably work ok, but the screen would still be a blown up quarter.

53752[/snapback]

From what i cant remember and from reading a bit of the manual, you can use the RS232 To link the Mux to the DVR which enables the VEXT connection.

The timings can be synced so the Mux sends the individual camera frames to the DVR as it would a Time Lapse VCR. Real time recodring is less possible, depending on the amount of cameras used. Im using 4 or 5 so it wont be too bad, it will probably record 10 frames a second for each cameras or slightly less.

Dean

Have you tried using the muxed output, maybe you can record that and then play it back to the mux for viewing. Effectively your using the dvr as nothing more than a vcr if you see what im saying. I suspect thats what your saying about the manual re the rs232 as this is just a clock pulse you would link to a vcr but your saying DVR?

From what i cant remember and from reading a bit of the manual, you can use the RS232 To link the Mux to the DVR which enables the VEXT connection.

I still doubt that this would work i havent used a single channel dvr before. The MUX output is coded so your recording the coded signal which is then compressed i guess. when you play it back to the MUX will it uncompress without messing up the MUX coding?

TBH i aint really sure it will but theres one way to find out, i would still stop messing about and get the right kit to do the job though!

Heres a silly thought, ASDA are currently selling some pretty cheap domestic DVR's, now would they record a multiplexed output onto DVD and could you then play it back through the mux and get a picture?

Have you tried  using the muxed output, maybe you can record that and then play it back to the mux for viewing. Effectively your using the dvr as nothing more than a vcr if you see what im saying. I suspect thats what your saying about the manual re the rs232 as this is just a clock pulse you would link to a vcr but your saying DVR?

I still doubt that this would work i havent used a single channel dvr before. The MUX output is coded so your recording the coded signal which is then compressed i guess. when you play it back to the MUX will it uncompress without messing up the MUX coding?

TBH i aint really sure it will but theres one way to find out, i would still stop messing about and get the right kit to do the job though!

Heres a silly thought, ASDA are currently selling some pretty cheap domestic DVR's, now would they record a multiplexed output onto DVD and could you then play it back through the mux and get a picture?

53759[/snapback]

cheers Ian, i aint got he MUX yet, might ring Baxall see if they could shed light on the matter, The DVR recorder comes with RS232 for VEXT input, Its quite a high spec one after looking into it. Not sure how it will perform, but it reords at up to 50fps so with 4 cameras i shouldnt get too much of a time lapse....

If i find out off Baxall or i end up just trying out myself i will let you know the outcome...

Thanks Again..

Dean

Archived