Security Installer Community

Quality of picture with Baluns

Alexg

Ian,

I was thinking of using cat.5 for the video transmission as there is currently a long run of 20mm galv conduit running the exact way I want to take the cables. I installed this conduit last year and it currently contains 3x cat.5 cables as part of the computer network and there would be room in the conduit for 1 more cat.5 cable, the conduit runs outside and joins 2 buildings, if I had to run coax I would either have to install another run of conduit above the current one (its outside on a smart building, the 1 run looks ok but another wouldn't) or I would have to replace the whole run with 25mm conduit (lot of work and there network would be down for a day or 2 while I do it) so I think this would be a good soloution, plus if I get a 4 channel balun they have 2 spare ways for future expansion.

You say I'm using "cheap chineese stuff" does this actually mean its not upto the job though? I have used some of planets stuff before and it all seemes ok, I can't imagine planet would sell stuff thats not up to the job...

Ive seen the stuff in the catalogue which i promptly put in the bin. Its cheap far east copies which i personally wont use. Dont get me wrong, some of the stuff that are copies or rebadged originals even are good value.

Price up the difference between Planets stuff and NVT kit, then convert that to estimated results against cost. Dont forget to add the time and money lost going back and forwards putting it right later. NVT lit is money well spent, and you get good back up from them. Check out theyre site

As for the installation circumstances your describing then CAT5 unscreened twisted pair would seem to make sense.

Ok, thank you Ian - I will look at the NVT baluns.

Yes the cat5 will be UTP, no need for STP as it doesn't go anywhere near mains or any other cables anywhere along its run.

I might buy a planet 4 channel balun to compare it against an NVT one.

You agree with me that using cat5 and baluns is the best way to do this job? I'm sure some "engineers" would just cable tie the 2 new coax's to the conduit thats already in place and say job done - seeing this kind of thing really winds me up, someone spends a long time doing a nice job of there conduit work and them someone comes in and 5 mins later they have tied there cable on loosly with a few ties and left leaving a shoddy looking job and ruineing the original conduit work, I see this all the time.

You agree with me that using cat5 and baluns is the best way to do this job? I'm sure some "engineers" would just cable tie the 2 new coax's to the conduit thats already in place and say job done - seeing this kind of thing really winds me up, someone spends a long time doing a nice job of there conduit work and them someone comes in and 5 mins later they have tied there cable on loosly with a few ties and left leaving a shoddy looking job and ruineing the original conduit work, I see this all the time.

54737[/snapback]

Its all down to costs, the "ahhh just tie it to the conduit" client will be happy coz hes saved a days labour.

Hi.

You would not be able to tell the difference at all between our balun (Planet/SystemQ) and NVT over a 35mtr run.

It is a free market and buy what ever you wish but the extra money should be in your pocket and not wasted on a brand name in my opinion.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Paul

MD

System Q Ltd.

I aint talking out my butt, im talking from experience, like i said you get what you pay for and that includes back up when things dont work as they should. Are Planet going to carry out a site visit to assist with design FOC? I doubt it!

You would not be able to tell the difference at all between our balun (Planet/SystemQ) and NVT over a 35mtr run.

Nice defence but i notice you didnt push your claim very hard Paul, so your not saying your product is as good as the NVT baluns?

I doubt you would notice much difference if you used straight belden without baluns over 35 mtrs.

Thank you very much for all the replies.

I can't agree with Ian that planet only sell **** far east stuff is he getting them confused with LJD who seem to have a fake English office and are actually in Hong Kong and who never answer Emails and very rarely answer there phone?!

Planet are a good company with there office in the UK, maybe they don't sell big name stuff but that doesn't mean there stuff is ****, I've never used the baluns they sell hence why I started this, but I have used there advanced vision cameras and never had a problem and they are perfect for a professional DOMESTIC solution - Ian you say planet are **** but you also said you put there catalogue in the bin so you have obviously never ordered anything from them. There service is good, Paul replied to me the same day with an answer to my question, delivery is usually next day - what more could you ask for?

For stuff like DVR'S and housings on anything but domestic I would use Norbain as I would rather pay more for really hi quality units, but Planet are aiming more at the professional domestic market and I think there products are perfect for this.

-Alex.

Ljd are not that bad me thinks you're getting confused with y3k. And  LJD do have a UK office (Ive been there) and they answer the phone too (several times to me today) true they do have a long way to go to provide a quality service, but the service they provide is adequate for the money they charge. And when stuff goes wrong they sort it quickly unlike many of the other cheaper end suppliers (who normally tell you youve used the wrong power supply).

Pete

55026[/snapback]

Hrmm ok, apologies to LJD - although I have tried to get through to them 3 times by phone and it just rang and rang, Emailed them a few times as I wanted to get information on there speed domes, no reply. Even if I could get through to them I would not consider using them as a supplier now as if I do even get the kit I ordered I wouldn't hold much hope of getting a replacement if it went faulty!

Anyways back on the original subject of the baluns, I'm going to go with the planet ones, I will give a report on the picture quality and also the quality of the balun itself when its all in and working.

Thanks very much guys,

Alex.

Archived