Security Installer Community

RG59 maximum length

Guest dmgsys

Guest dmgsys

Hi Chaps

Is anybody out there able to confirm whether RG59 is ok for use in a CCTV camera system over 250 metres? (actual run about 260m)

Gardiner security say yes, however some companies state its only good up to 200 metres.

Would CT100 or 125 be a better bet?

cheers

Dave Griffiths.

Guest dmgsys

cheers Lurch

Gardiner supply Baluns and CAT5 so i don't know why they'd recommend a cheaper option.( Maybe they were having a monday moment )

Dave

As far as I'm concerned if you do not want to load the cost of the job and there are no environmental issues then I assume that any distance up to 300metres is acceptable if you wish to reduce the possibility of poor picture quality then use twisted pair(cat5) and transceivers(baluns)but it will incure a higher equipment cost(a pair of baluns at approx £120,hope thats a help Regards Paul.

(a pair of baluns at approx £120,hope thats a help Regards Paul.

60355[/snapback]

Where are you buying them from ? thats toooooo expensive

You would get away with rg59 but ct125 is the proper job and if you use ct125 dont forget to order the proper fittings.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

RG59 will work fine on runs in excess of 200/250 mtrs, infact ive installed 2 PTZ's recently on cables in excess of 300mtrs one of which was nearer 350/400mtrs and its working fine,(Not my choice i must add).

I would suggest however that CT125 or RG11 would suit the purpose better, and as the fellas have already stated Baluns & CAT5 would be another good option.

Its hard to suggest the best way to go without seeing the situation but i would be thinking Baluns & CAT5.

Guest dmgsys

cheers Guys

I think Baluns and CAT 5 it is then.

There could also be a ground loop problem since the camera is locally mains powered

i'm assuming Baluns and cat 5 would overcome this since they are isolated devices (ie transceivers)?

Anyway post me if i'm talking cack here

cheers again

Dave

I would say its good upto 250m. We are busy on several rugby stadiums over here and we are using RG11 on runs over 250m. Most of the RG11 runs are just over 500m. With Sanyo domes we have had no problems with the cable. TW&T to work with though.

cheers Kev

Depending on where you are running the cable, Cat5 with baluns is the best choice.

Don't forget you can send more than 1camera down a cat5 cable, handy for the future sometimes.

60366[/snapback]

Don't you get any crosstalk at all on Cat 5? Or would you need to use individually screen twisted pairs? Interested to know.

egg03064.gif

Archived