Security Installer Community

RG59 maximum length

Guest dmgsys

Providing you are not running your RG59 along side power cables you should be good for 300m, any more then use CT125 or RG11. But even with these can cables you can get problems. We once installed a camera with a cable distance of 600m using RG11 and the picture quality was not a 100%.

Good luck.

Don't you get any crosstalk at all on Cat 5?  Or would you need to use individually screen twisted pairs?  Interested to know.

60385[/snapback]

If you use screened you are likley to get some crosstalk, you should use Unshielded twisted pair!

NVT learning centre is a great resource, all you need to know about cat5 and baluns.

You should also ensure that the cable is of a known origin as there is alot of cable out there is sold that doesn't meet the actual specs of true RG59 cable.

Poor quality cable is often a cause of some problems on sites, and not just with RG59.

Hi guys, many moons ago on a corse we were given a booklet from a co called Inman Consultants CCTV System Specailists, this is like my little cctv bible,

urm70 200m

RG59 200m

CT100 350m

CT125 450m

CT167 750m

Different grades within each type of cable exist. These grades define the use to which the cable can be put, i.e suitable for direct burial etc. Always remember that a video signal is only 1v in amplitude and is very vunerable to interferance and losses in poor quality cables. Advantage for coax is that because the cable is low in capacitance then the high frequency elements of the signal are not attenuated to the same degree as would be the case with say a standard twisted-pair type transmission cable.

I personally have run rg59 one hell of alot over these distances and have still got good results, keeping as far away from any mains cable as possible, with no joints. A well made joint will add 50m signal attenuation so best to do it all in one good run, however I have had long runs with a couple of well made joints and had no problems either.

The above distances are garunteed to give good results, they cables will work over much longer distances but it's hit and miss, I wouldn't really push anything past 250m, 300m max in rg59. At the end of the day it's a long run to replace if it doesn't do the job, and you won't know till you've tried it, better to be safe than sorry. :yes:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived