Security Installer Community

T shaped CCTV connectors

sparky83

Ive seen T connectors advertised before in CCTV magazines but never seen them used. We always loop in and out of monitors or if we're really stuck we use a special 12V splitter so the signal is not degraded. But when can I use a T connector or whatever they may be called? Do they have to be plugged in a special way with the video in at the pointy end or what??? Are they only to be used on short runs? Is there much signal lost? Is it ok to use them on a professional install? I'm only asking because I dont know anything about them!

Trade Member

AH HAAAA!!! hitit

We promote a product that requires the use of a t connecter. Its a video smoke detection system that picks up smoke faster than conventional smoke detectors and retrofits into existing cctv systems or we will provide cctv system and fire system in one.No signal loss and no other loss. Anyone got customers who might be interested get in touch with me and we will provide a demo or site visit. ;)

Bri

trade.gif

I've used the T, F and straight through connectors now and again. I've heard other people say they can cause problems with poor connections/signal loss, but I've never had a problem with them. Put a bit of tape round them if you're using them for a join.

If you don't know......ask.

Anywhere you want to mate. Obviously the less connections the better but ive used them with no side effects. On one job a camera is teed off to a monitor while the signal carries on to the video and another monitor.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

As above, the 75 ohm resistor basically buffers the signal, (it's going quite fast!) I don't do CCTV install anymore but I used to heat shrink any straight through joins.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I used to heat shrink any straight through joins.

Good practice

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Avoid T-piece connectors if you can, as you will most probably not be able to correctly terminate the signal.

As you say loop-thru's are common place these days, especially on monitor's and most kit will auto terminate the signal so if you use a T-piece you dont have a single end of line, you have 2 and therefore 2 terminations.

I cant think of the correct terminolgy for the effect this will cause but your picture will be very bright and you may not be able to do much about it. Unless you have termination switches or control of the termination one way or another.

They do have a place but these days those places are rare, avoid them if you can.

As above, the 75 ohm resistor basically buffers the signal, (it's going quite fast!) I don't do CCTV install anymore but I used to heat shrink any straight through joins.

61282[/snapback]

Ohh, a bit posh...................ordering the heat shrink in the morning.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I don't do CCTV install anymore

61282[/snapback]

Plenty to service now they've pushed cctv service into intruder though :no::realmad:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived