Security Installer Community

American Dimanics J Boxes Over BT Fibre

Guest bigbro

Guest bigbro

Hi Guys & Girls

Ok, this should most likely be in the trade section, but I applied months ago and never heard, so there we go.......

Has anybody ever used the AD 'j' boxes over a bt fibre at all? Im having reall probs getting the buggers to 'see' each other, boxes at each end of the fibre are constantly showing data out netral is earthed, but bt recon there fibres are always in a floating state and not earthed anywhere (which I personally think is b**lox). The gear will not work with this problem, any one got any ideas?

cheers

Big Bro

• 1 month later...
Guest Rockford
Hi Guys & Girls

Ok, this should most likely be in the trade section, but I applied months ago and never heard, so there we go.......

Has anybody ever used the AD 'j' boxes over a bt fibre at all?  Im having reall probs getting the buggers to 'see' each other, boxes at each end of the fibre are constantly showing data out netral is earthed, but bt recon there fibres are always in a floating state and not earthed anywhere (which I personally think is b**lox).  The gear will not work with this problem, any one got any ideas?

cheers

Big Bro

63267[/snapback]

Hmm... tough one. BT fibre at some point will pass through BT equipment on its way to somewhere else... You'll need to know the layer 1 and layer 2 protocol definition in order for the two sides to "talk". Nine times out of ten, BT favor ATM as their carrier. If the line is a private circuit (you didn't say; is it?), you'll probably have a DTE to deal with that and it doesn't *necessarily* apply. The question is more complicated that I think you realise... You don't just get "a BT fibre". There are a million different types all of which need setting up differently. What kind of line is it and what terminating equipment is there?

Archived