Security Installer Community

Right or Wrong

Guest LOC

It seems this community contains those who like to use coax and those who prefer Cat5 or 6. There is always more than one way to skin a cat in every industry and it is interesting to see the different methods.

Some methods are hailed as non problematical for some and "I had no problems" for others.

For someone starting out in CCTV but not wanting to take over the world what is the best cables to use, lets say for a house needing this

10 Camera's

3 internal downstairs

3 internal upstairs

4 outside which need to be visible in darkness with no other lighting (in the Country) Two of these stretch to the stables 300m away, need overground cabling

It would be interesting to see some different scenarios of cabling techniques and power requirements.

I would normally say coax, but the 300m runs will be just on the limit of coax, best to use cat5 and baluns for those.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I would normally say coax, but the 300m runs will be just on the limit of coax, best to use cat5 and baluns for those.

64818[/snapback]

It is a country house used for offices which has a Cat5 certified network? will I be using POE on this cable?

Can anyone send me a link on these type of balun's please are they something special or just a Cat5 to BNC connector? Anyone willing to give a full answer?

Your question isnt as easily answered as it was asked, its possible to do it in many ways using either coax or cat5 or even radio. Its impossible to give an accurate answer or guidance without seeing the situation and even then we would be likely to still do it differently to each other.

If you really want to learn about video over cat5 try HERE.

If you want some serious advice from us post your location and maybe one of the guys here will pay you a visit.

Archived