Security Installer Community

CCTV Control

Guest Akeem

Viewing the cameras in the study wasnt a problem as i read it, control of the mux was the problem.

DM is a good option but a very expensive one, Videoswitch do a more sensibly priced DVR with remote keyboard and im sure there are many others. Best to shop around but expect to be paying well over a grand.

I had a similar problem many years ago, and the client needed a quick fix on a tight budget.

This may not be ideal (it's just a suggestion) but will provide channel selection of cameras 1 - 16 or split screen output but it won't offer complete control of all the multiplexer functions.

So ...... if you use a remote video switcher with alarm inputs, something like the Nortek RC616 for example, with all the video inputs looped from the multiplexer (yes but, 16 cameras + 1 multiplexed display = 17 - you will need an additionel alarm switcher on channel 16 if you need the extra channel/s) then you can use a single channel telemetry transmitter at the monitoring end, and a telemetry receiver with a few extra relays thrown in if necessary, to drive the alarm contacts on the remote switcher.

Easiest configuration is to use the P/T buttons for selecting cameras 1-4 (Grp. 1), 5-8 (Grp. 2), 9-12 (Grp. 3), 13-16 (Grp. 4), and the focus / zoom voltages to drive four additional (4 Pole) relays for individual group selection.

So for example Zoom In + Up = Camera 1, + Right =2, +Down = 3, + Left =4 .... Zoom Out + Down = 7 etc,

Not terribly high tech, but it should do the job; BTW new labels for the transmitter switches may cost extra :)

So ...... if you use a remote video switcher with alarm inputs, something like the Nortek RC616 for example, with all the video inputs looped from the multiplexer  (yes but, 16 cameras + 1 multiplexed display = 17 - you will need an additionel alarm switcher on channel 16 if you need the extra channel/s) then you can use a single channel telemetry transmitter at the monitoring end, and a telemetry receiver  with a few extra relays thrown in if necessary, to drive the alarm contacts on the remote switcher.

Easiest configuration is to use the P/T buttons for selecting cameras 1-4 (Grp. 1), 5-8 (Grp. 2), 9-12 (Grp. 3), 13-16 (Grp. 4), and the focus / zoom voltages to drive four additional (4 Pole)  relays for individual group selection.

So for example Zoom In + Up = Camera 1, + Right =2, +Down = 3,  + Left =4 .... Zoom Out + Down = 7 etc,

65943[/snapback]

Could you be so kind to explain the solution in a simpler way. I really dont get it. Does this mean that i will have to change the existing multiplexer? Thanks.

I really hope if I change the Multiplexer to the type with remote keyboard, I could make the link between the Mux and the keyborad wireless and still be able to fully control the mux options. I hope this is simpler and would be glad if anyone has an idea of such tx & rx that would work. The distance between gatehouse & study is about 50mtr line of site.

tnx.

Can't say as I know of a wireless mux\keyboard option but how about a networkable DVR and wireless network?

66199[/snapback]

kindly give the list of equipment needed for both options. there is actually a server room in the building only that there is no data port in the security house where the control equipment is. tnx.

kindly give the list of equipment needed for both options. there is actually a server room in the building only that there is no data port in the security house where the control equipment is. tnx.

66222[/snapback]

Well, depends on what exactly how you want to do it. Basically, you're going to want a DVR with network port, a PC,a couple of wireless access points and some associated cables.

Not sure what the other option was, I can only see one. :question:

We quite often fit DMs with 2 monitors, for the 2nd monitor remote from the DVR we fit an infrared extender.Point the DM remote control at it, it transmits by radio to a reciever the other end and there is a little infrared transmitter that you fix to the front of the DMs IR receiver.

Works a treat.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived