Security Installer Community

Home IP Camera recommendations

efcmandan

Hi Zak,

so, if I get a Geovision card like this one from Fleabay Ebay, I can then get normal cameras (do they still use co-ax?) and wire them into that card?

I like this idea, I'm hopefully going to put a nice floor in my loft, then I can put a machine up there for this purpose. It'll be easier to wire the camera(s) into the loft too.

Thanks

Dan

66558[/snapback]

Hi

I don't know GeoVision very well - only recently started looking at it. On the ebay site they listed the model as a 9-way GV750 - which isn't a model that seems to exist (don't know if it is discontinued or incorrect model). Min bid price is cheap enough though. Co-ax is still used, yes.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Ar$e. It would appear a bidding frenzy has started already, price now up to £97. To be honest, this card was probably overkill for me anyway? 9 channels, when I'd only ever use two, three maximum.

I'm going to keep looking for a cheaper card, in fact I've just found this: Fleabay Item, but it looks a bit too cheap to be any good!

Any comments on that card would be appreciated.

Edit: This seller is UK-based at least, so I'd be more comfortable buying this card. Why are these cards so much cheaper than the Geovision. Is it as simple as they are ****, and the Geovision ones aren't?! ;)

Thanks

Dan

Difference between the 2 cards is that the Geo will definitely work & has many features whereas the other might work or not or could freeze at any time I don't know the model.

You don't need such a powerful card as the Geo model on ebay, maybe look for a 4 camera GV250 or 600 card for domestic use.

Difference between the 2 cards is that the Geo will definitely work & has many features whereas the other might work or not or could freeze at any time I don't know the model.

You don't need such a powerful card as the Geo model on ebay, maybe look for a 4 camera GV250 or 600 card for domestic use.

67153[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply Baywatch. I've seen the GV250 2-cam model for £80, £105 for the 4-cam model. So I'm in a bit of a quandry really. I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm reluctant to pay four times the price for a piece of kit that may be essentially the same thing, with a different branding. Don't get me wrong, I don't know the first thing about these cards, perhaps I'm just being a tightwad.

I've just noticed something about the GV-250 'Note: GV-250 is currently not compatible with VIA series chipset motherboard'. Crikey, that probably affects about 50% of PC's! :smash:

I've done a bit of research on the Fleabay items, and the one that i'm interested in in particular seems to be this one. I think it might be worth a gamble.

Thanks

Dan

Archived