Security Installer Community

new digital recorder

Guest mikechids

Guest mikechids

We have at work the following system which has currently a broken multiplexer.

Chubb CHL DX16C.

Sanyo 24 Timelapse video.

The multiplexer won`t playback any pictures and the engineer is putting in a quote to my headoffice. The video is fairly old aswell and a previous engineer said it has used over its recommended hours.

I would like a digital system.... but have no idea of the costs.

I would like to put a case to my Loss Prevention Officer to put in a digital recorder instead of replacing the Multipler and then the video later (probably).

Can the existing cameras be used? There are 12 colour cameras. I recently had 4 new VISTA camera added.

What are the costs of each system?

Many thanks

Mike

Mike, costs and prices are a hard one due to any member does not know the system, plus it would be unproffessional of a member to discuss cost in a open forum.

But your multiplexer sounds like a Dedicated Micros with that Chubb part number, to be on the safe side get a quote from another installer, have a look at the members list on this forum to find one local to you.

As long as you cameras are composite video output then they can be used, and i would say they are.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Hi Mike

Firstly, there should be no problem using the existing cameras, are they all static?

You will most likely want a triplex dvr of 16 or 32 cameras depending if you intend to add more cameras in the future, Professional systems are more likely to have the ability for remote viewing via an internet connection too.

As a ballpark guess, expect to pay between £2000 and £7000 for the digital unit depending on what you require. www.norbain.co.uk have information on a range of suitable professional systems so it may be worth having a browse and getting an idea of what you want.

As for your existing set up, There are many reasons a multiplexer wont play back video information. Faulty VCR, incorrect connection of cables between VCR and Mux, Incorrect settings for the VCR used with the Mux etc.

If you would like a second onsite oppinion use the installers link at the top to find a company located near yourself.

Guest mikechids

The engineer tried a video from his van and had same result.

I work for a large supermarket group and don`t really deal with the cost side of things. I just phone the helpline and say it doesn`t work!

Some of the other shops have Dedicated Micros machines which are quite good.

I have to wait for a refit for an upgrade in CCTV, just trying to speed things up. :yes:

mike

The engineer tried a video from his van and had same result.

67022[/snapback]

A video tape :no: How do you know that (a) the tape had something on it (B) the recording was compatible to playback on you existing equipment, sounds like a engineer on the commission drive here which we see every week.

Or a video recorder, that has probaly come from another site that was playing up.

Just get your headoffice to upgrade it on the grounds of loss prevention and health and safety of the staff.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

We have this problem all the time, if your equipment is 100% faulty then all you can do is let the security company put a price in and then wait for your LP people to give the go ahead. On many occasions I have asked to replace a mux/vcr for a DVR with the stores backing but it never happens.

I know of a large dicount clothing chain that let a branch go 6 weeks without any cctv as they wanted the matrixs repaired, not replaced. The branch LP people were going ape but it was all down to short sighted cost savings :no:

Can you give a hint who you work for ?, as it may be us at Initial that deals with you.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Well it isnt Tesco or ASDA so that doesnt leave many large chains (specially if they are Yorkshire based).

Mike as Rich has already mentioned 2-7k is reasonable ball park figures for a change of machines.

But theres more than just the basic costs to take into account. Cost of tape replacements, time spent changing/rewinding tapes, time spent trawling through tapes to find when the razor blades went missing etc. I could go on........

Build a case for replacement, do your homework and submit it to the store manager and LP dept at head office if you want to be taken more seriously and maybe you can get them to see it from your point of view.

Guest mikechids
We have this problem all the time, if your equipment is 100% faulty then all you can do is let the security company put a price in and then wait for your LP people to give the go ahead. On many occasions I have asked to replace a mux/vcr for a DVR with the stores backing but it never happens.

I know of a large dicount clothing chain that let a branch go 6 weeks without any cctv as they wanted the matrixs repaired, not replaced. The branch LP people were going ape but it was all down to short sighted cost savings :no:

Can you give a hint who you work for ?, as it may be us at Initial that deals with you.

67026[/snapback]

You have our alarm contract but not CCTV.

I am the store manager to answer a previous reply.

Spoke to loss prevention person and they were quite positive about getting DVR. She said it would be approx 3.5K. Just gotta get it signed off.

Archived