Security Installer Community

oscilloscope

securitycctv

If you want to test cameras to that level then all you should need is a peak to peak meter. We got one two years ago when a consultant asked for the readings of the installation. It has been used only a couple of times since then so personally I wouldnt bother. Spend the money on some thing that wont collect dust :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Not being rude, but if you have not got a idea on how to use a scope then dont buy one, i can use one and have one but for cctv faults the below and also a Time Domain Meter for tracing cable faults is all you will need.

why not start with a peak to peak meter and test signal generator?

Paul.

67836[/snapback]

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Anyone here know about using an oscilloscope for video signal checking. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. We are considering purchasing one and have not a clue as to their use. Basically any knowledge after the point of pressing the switch on button, what to look for and how to identify good from bad signals etc.

John

67830[/snapback]

To summerise the collective answers here I think the general opinion is that you would be better off getting from gardiners;

1.peak to peak meter.

2.Test signal generator.

I personally would find it very hit and miss without this basic kit but it would also be a help occasionally to have a basic cable fault meter which gives approximate distances of faults from cable end.The units may not be expensive but if used logically they can tell you everything about your problem that you need to know ie tested p-p at receiving end and volts are low,replace camera with signal generator and p-p volts good=duff cam possibly ?or if p-p still low then video transmission fault?

All three of these bits of kit would cost a fraction of a scope and would probably serve you much better,learn to walk with these first then run with a scope later if you still feel its needed. :yes: Paul.

You need oscilloscope if you want to synchronise all cameras (or then you use 24/230VAC cameras all connected to same phase and use LineLock). That thou is necessary only if you are using video switches and don't want the picture flicker for the first half a second.

Thou cheap scopes are only

Using an old tektronics dual trace here, been collecting dust for the past year under the bench but still comes in handy now and again, personally I'd get the kit above and buy a cheap old dual trace jobby off ebay if you really wanted one, then you'll get the best of both worlds

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

As an aside, the Fluke 196 Scopemeters are great tools if you really want to get to grips with a video signal. You can select which scan lines to trigger on, fields etc. and it has built in trace memory. They are expensive and unless you are doing developement or repair work you really won't need one.

Archived