Security Installer Community

Choose a DVR

Guest Rockford

Guest Rockford

Morning all!

we all know there are a MILLION different DVRs out there. Instead of ASKING what's best, I'd like to figure out for myself which one I LIKE best! :)

I bow to your collective superior knowledge. Couple of things to ask...

1. There seem to be a lot of DVRs that are, in effect, Microsoft Windows based PCs but they do the job of being a DVR quite well from what I see. What do you think of that as a concept? Are such things to be avoided or are they "not bad"?

2. Regarding support: After sales support is something I personally rate VERY highly. Almost as highly as the device itself. Do you think I'm RIGHT to have this opinion or is after sales support not so important?

3. Thinking about the first two questions, what factors would influence your decision in buying / installing a particular DVR over its competition?

We have a few DVRs here on trial and we're looking to start dealing with just one of them. We can test the products, but we can't really test either the company's after sales support or our own knowledge since we haven't yet experienced a wide enough cross-section of the DVR marketplace.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! cheers!

Guest Rockford
By the way your talking I get the impression that your buying cheapy cheap cheap cheapo DVR's?

Videoswitch are ok for a budget dvr.

Or get yourself a Norbain account and look at some propper DVR's.

68252[/snapback]

Not really cheap DVRs no... Some of those we have are "cheaper than others", but none of them are tat... Some are Linux based, some are Windows based... One we have on a trial (must give back) is MEGA expensive.

I am really very happy with the DVR's i sell from Dynamic CCTV, but i mainly install budget systems in newsagents and small factory's. I couldnt however imagine using them in more important situations where the CCTV System is very important such as Nightclubs etc.

I dont really consider PC based DVR's, i would much rather use a dedicated machine rather than a PC. Its a bit like buying a car coz it has a radio built in, i dont drive the car but i like using the radio, if you see what i mean.

Up to now i would normally use a DM DVR for more commercially important situations but i have been swayed by the DOWSHU DVR's but never bought one as of yet.

Dowshu's are fantastic. The end user options and search facility is the best I've seen. They are great for monitoring to a central station too. When a sensor triggers on site, a small 'messenger' type box pops up with a sound and the site/camera/sensor details.

At present, we have put ordering Dowshu's on hold as we don't get the support that we'd expect. We have 4 imminent jobs that we are sourcing alternative equipment for simply because of their poor tech support. Me personally, I want Dowshu. I've grown so fond of the units.

We are still waiting after several months now for our new control centre software. It's so difficult for them to remedy this that they can't even stick it on a disk and slap it in an envelope.

ACE.gif

I personally havent used anything better than DM.

I absolutely hate Vista Triplex, very user unfriendly.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• 8 months later...
Guest tracytye

Incident Video Systems actually make a 4 channel linux based DVR that requires no setup i.e. you plug it in and it starts recording at 25fps 4CIF D1 resolution. No buttons or gimmicks on the front panel, but controlled over a LAN by a PC which also doubles as an incident archive library. Its probably the only DVR on the market that isn't made in the far east, israel or poland! Even the codec is manufactured here. I think the price for 31 days retention at 25fps 4CIF resolution is about

Guest netvisiondvr

I agree what you have say.if fact,there are so many products in the market,but not all is fit for you.before you buy a product,you may carefully analyse your demand,then you can go and buy.but be

careful,there are many piratic software compression DVR cards,those people who sell piratic products are only responsible for sale not for supporting after they sold product. so you may

gather more information before you buy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Imsol

we use mainly cbc's ganz dvr's, i know they're alot cheaper than most and that they aren't 100% user friendly, but our clients won't go for anything else because it's way too expensive. in south africa, a 16ch triplex ganz costs around R20k - R25k thats, like 2000 pounds. do you know of any other makes that would come in at around the same price? how do you guys rate ganz :hmm:

I personally havent used anything better than DM.

I absolutely hate Vista Triplex, very user unfriendly.

May not be user friendly but a Vista system triplex is far better than a DM and for the price id say quality is better than looking nice and having fancy buttons! :fear:

Dallmier is a very good unit

Chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Archived