Security Installer Community

Choose a DVR

Guest Rockford

Read this, the ports you need to open will probably be different though being a different DVR.

The principle is the same though.

Netgear_ADSL_Setup_Guide_v1.5.pdf

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

the dvr 365 i fitted was excellent with regards set up etc..now i need to at customers request configure it for remote veiwing.. :fear: ive tried and failed no im not ashamed.. :no: intruder is my game....the system is all wired and working,now its got a netgear router fixed ip etc connected with a new pc,can i bugger get it to work,what the hell is fixed ip,gateways.and subnet mask :bruce_h4h:

a quick lesson would be nice :yes:

Hi.

This tip should help you.

Please read through it and if you have any problems, buzz us and as for Julian.

Julian is our IT manager.

Paul

the dvr 365 i fitted was excellent with regards set up etc..now i need to at customers request configure it for remote veiwing.. :fear: ive tried and failed no im not ashamed.. :no: intruder is my game....the system is all wired and working,now its got a netgear router fixed ip etc connected with a new pc,can i bugger get it to work,what the hell is fixed ip,gateways.and subnet mask :bruce_h4h:

a quick lesson would be nice :yes:

Tip as a link..

www.systemq.com/web/file/Tips/TechnicalTip-0058.pdf

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

what the hell is fixed ip,gateways.and subnet mask

IP networking's easy really. Each device must have a unique IP address. It's made up of 4 dotted segments like this:

Each dotted segment must be less than 255, and you can't set all 4 to 0. This address is simply a way of telling other computers where it's located on the network, how to send information to it. In simplistic terms, you can look at it like a street address. The last segment (244) is the house number, the 3rd (162) is the street name, the 2nd (168) is the town, and the first (192) is the country.

What usually happens when you connect to the internet, is that you are dynamically assigned an address by the connection provider. The problem with this is that you don't know what the address of your device is and hence can't connect. To be able to connect to your unit on an ongoing basis you need it to have a static IP, which stays the same all the time.

The subnet mask tells the computer/device whether another IP is on the same local network, and if it isn't the device will send the info through the default gateway, which is the route to another network (normally "the internet"). I won't go into the technicalities of how it works because it is quite involved.

The subnet mask will usually depend on the IP address you're using. If the IP address you are using starts with:

192.168.x.x - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

172.16.x.x - subnet mask is usually 255.255.0.0

10.x.x.x - subnet mask is usually 255.0.0.0

This is a short guide to IP addressing.

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

IP networking's easy really. Each device must have a unique IP address. It's made up of 4 dotted segments like this:

Each dotted segment must be less than 255, and you can't set all 4 to 0. This address is simply a way of telling other computers where it's located on the network, how to send information to it. In simplistic terms, you can look at it like a street address. The last segment (244) is the house number, the 3rd (162) is the street name, the 2nd (168) is the town, and the first (192) is the country.

What usually happens when you connect to the internet, is that you are dynamically assigned an address by the connection provider. The problem with this is that you don't know what the address of your device is and hence can't connect. To be able to connect to your unit on an ongoing basis you need it to have a static IP, which stays the same all the time.

The subnet mask tells the computer/device whether another IP is on the same local network, and if it isn't the device will send the info through the default gateway, which is the route to another network (normally "the internet"). I won't go into the technicalities of how it works because it is quite involved.

The subnet mask will usually depend on the IP address you're using. If the IP address you are using starts with:

192.168.x.x - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

172.16.x.x - subnet mask is usually 255.255.0.0

10.x.x.x - subnet mask is usually 255.0.0.0

This is a short guide to IP addressing.

Hi Phil.

I would like to point out IP addresses and subnets are grouped for particular purposes.

Historically certain addresses were reserved when the range of IP addresses were being allocated.

127.0.0.1 was reserved as a

System Q Ltd.

Oh I realise all the above. The above was just a short guide to what an IP is, what a subnet is, and what a default gateway is without going into horrific amounts of detail :)

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

Archived