Security Installer Community

Advice on new CCTV remote system

Guest APSW

Our family business has just bought a new building (building 2) 30m down the road from our current warehouse (building 1). The new build is going to be used as storage depo. and we want to be able to monitor the new building from the old building and also possibly from home.

I have been looking at several different products on the web and ideally I need someone to say "Yes, thats exactly what you want." or "No, that particular product is rubbish, you need this, this and this".

In the new building we have a 1MB ADSL Static IP connection - it is not possible to connect the 2 builings any other way.

I was thinking of having an IP 9100 Internet Video Server (http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=105&osCsid=010205c35055d10d2f16dc6ad24341c7) and connecting that to the broadband router.

Then have 3 cameras connected to the video server:

1. An external Day/Night camera for monitoring an area where delivery vans are parked during the night.

2. An internal camera for the ground floor of the warehouse.

3. An internal camera for the first floor fo the warehouse, where it is relativly dark due to all the shelving.

We will then be able to view the activities in Building 2 from Building 1.

Will the video server i proposed be good enough and will the 1MB connection be fast enough?

Thanks in advance.

In the new building we have a 1MB ADSL Static IP connection - it is not possible to connect the 2 builings any other way.

69908[/snapback]

Hmmm..... Have you asked BT what they can provide to link the 2 buildings?

Also, have you tried out any wireless LAN products? 30 metres isn't very far for 802.11g (54mbps) with suitably sited kit.

Yeah i have tried a wireless link but there is interference and it cannot be relied upon.

BT is a very good suggestion that I did not think of - I am going to call them now.

Thanks!

BT is a very good suggestion that I did not think of - I am going to call them now.

69926[/snapback]

I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than an ADSL link tbh.

wrt your original choice of equipment, it's a bit cheap which makes me wary! It may do the job, the theory is correct but I would expect to pay several times more than that for a budget piece of kit.

I'd be looking at something like the Axis range of video servers or more probably I'd use a DVR on the remote site with a LAN connection enabling remote viewing and recording. Both of these options work out at a similar price but with the DVR option you get recording too as a bonus.

I'd be looking at something like the Axis range of video servers or more probably I'd use a DVR on the remote site with a LAN connection enabling remote viewing and recording. Both of these options work out at a similar price but with the DVR option you get recording too as a bonus.

69930[/snapback]

I would agree with the Lurch and go DVR for the same reasons, the images are recorded as a bonus.

Guest MSI New York

Having good security is cheaper than not having good security, no matter what good security equipment costs (all things being equal, no need to hire a small mercenary army to guard your warehouse, unless your warehouse is in Bahgdad). Go with a IP capable DVR. Not only can you view realtime images from home, your office, vacation, or anywhere you go, but as Ian said, the images are recorded as a bonus. In case of an incident, you can keep a hard copy for your records.

I personally use the D4 from Dedicated Micros for a small job such as you're describing. You can get it with an internal CD burner, so you can back up your entire day in under 10 minutes.

Edit: added link

Guest Rockford
What would be your ideal choice?

69928[/snapback]

For goodness sake, use a VPN! Ask BT if you can get SDSL there. That way, if you have 1mb ADSL @ home, you'll at least get a full 1mb stream INBOUND to your home (minus the overheads of the VPN of course). IP security is what MY company does best! Need any advice on ANY of that stuff, please give us a shout!

Archived