Security Installer Community

Advice on new CCTV remote system

Guest APSW

Guest paraffinlamps

Virtual Private Network.

In essence it`s like having an extension of your local network using the affordability of the net.

So if you were working at home and connected to your office network through broadband via a vpn,it would appear to you and the other users on the network that you were actually a local user on the network .

I`m sure the IT guys on here will be able to explain in more depth though.

HTH

Neil

A VPN is basically a secure tunnel through which data is encrypted over a public link.

Some website says;

A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, is a private communications network usually used within a company, or by several different companies or organizations, communicating over a public network. VPN message traffic is carried on public networking infrastructure (ie, the Internet) using standard (possibly unsecure) protocols.

Secure VPNs use cryptographic tunneling protocols to provide the necessary confidentiality (preventing snooping), sender authentication (preventing identity spoofing), and message integrity (preventing message alteration) to achieve the privacy intended. When properly chosen, implemented, and used, such techniques can indeed provide secure communications over unsecured networks.

OK so we're going for a DVR connected to the network through a VPN.

What about cameras - is it possible to control a pan and tilt of the network through a DVR?

• 1 month later...
Yeah i have tried a wireless link but there is interference and it cannot be relied upon.

BT is a very good suggestion that I did not think of - I am going to call them now.

Thanks!

Really? I have just designed and implemented a network bridge that is operating at 1.2 miles (line of site) with a perfect connection with little to no packet loss, the network is using WPA encryption as well and allows the customer to link the 2 offices together very cheaply.

Archived