Security Installer Community

Help with white out on camera display

jizzer

Hi,

I have recently installed an LJD dome ( yes I now know all the flack LJD seem to attract)it is an external dome model SKD 105/1143AIP/SO.

The camera is mounted under a canopy in front of my garage door looking out over the drive. The sun never hits the dome but when the sun is bright say on the tarmac or on the car the picture seems to "white out" if thats the correct term just on the part thats bright the other part of the picture not in the sun is ok.

To be honest when its not bright the picture is VERY good.

My question ...as i am looking to buy some more external cameras ,not domes, what feature should i look out for on a camera that will eliminate this problem.

Would it be backlight compensation ? I understand what this feature does with an object viewed against a bright background but am not sure if it will cure the problem i have outlined.

I like the features of the advanced vision (Q) cams sold by planet but having never seen one I am unsure of the quality of the image, probably the size of them that is putting me off can you really get a quality image from something so small ....Anyone used one or have any comments.

Has anyone any comments on the JVC TK C920E regarding image quality used outside???

I know there are a few questions there but any advice will be greatley received :yes:

Thanks

Guest paraffinlamps

Backlight compensation would help ,but still may not elimate the problem ,depending on how great the contrast is.

It`s because parts of the scene are not in the sun that the auto iris ( I`m assuming the camera does have some sort of auto iris as I`ve never used them )isn`t shutting down enough .If all the scene was illuminated then you wouldn`t have so much of a problem. This is where backlight compensation helps by trying to even out the picture so the iris has a better chance .

Can`t comment on any of the cameras you specified sorry as I`ve never used them .

Certainly backlight compensation will help though .

HTH

Neil

Guest MSI New York

I'm not familiar with the cameras you describe either, but backlight compensation should help you- a little. So should an auto-iris.

As for your comment about getting a quality image from something so small, in the CCTV business, size doesn't matter. One of my favorite cameras, the CVC-635N, is roughly the size of an eggroll.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps,

Back Light Compensation shouldn't be used outside. It's only function is to cut down glare when looking at shop windows. He needs an auto iris lens and and ajustable level.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Archived