Security Installer Community

Home DVR choice help

Guest deefadog

Guest deefadog

Thought i would start a new thread on this.

I have found 3 suitable DVR's and i would appreciate if someone could have a quick look over the specs and tell me which is the best for my purpose, there are a few compression format that i don't reconise and there might be something that stands out to someone who knows these machines!

Contender Number 1 - IView 4 Camera DVR With Motion Detection and 120GB Hard Drive (400M)

Contender Number 2 - (Model: XVIS4DVRE)

Contender Number 3 - DVR 7220M

What i want out of the machine:

It's for home use, to be viewed on a PAL TV. I envisage around 1 hour of motion recording per day.

1)Record 4 cameras on motion detect

2)Output a quad signal via an rf modulator so i can view the quad picture at all times, even if it's recording

3)Backup to a vcr

4)Audio capablity, although not sure if this is a standard thing or that some of the description don't mention it??

Thanks for any help

We have experience of the XVIS4DVRE and the Iview machine, both are good basic units, however must stress they are only basic machines.

The 3rd unit looks like a good unit and has the bonus of Remote Control. However have not used it so not sure of quality, all models do not have audio.

There has been some posts about y3K on this forum, I believe their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

You will probably be able to set the DVR to record at the highest quality, depending on the resolution of your cameras, I doubt you would notice much difference in playback between all 3.

One thought, if you have a spare VCR, you could dedicate the video input of the vcr to the dvr and then connect the RF output of the DVR into your TV distribution amplifier.

Or even the RF output of the VCR as Im sure you meant to say Rich

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest deefadog

Thanks guyz, yes i have a spare vcr, good thought :)

Audio i can live without, as i am on a budget!

The third unit does look nice, will keep the missus happy LoL, but it's has a smaller hard drive, although it is not going to be used much in a home application, so may not be an issue.

Will all these machines allow me to view the cameras at any time through an rf modulator or vcr on a tv and still record?

So any other similar spec machine's i may have missed? These are all the ones i could find in my price bracket, i can maybe go up a bit if you think there is a machine that would justify it?

Dont worry to much about looks as it should be locked out the way and or in a lockable dvr cabinet or in the roof space. You dont want mr burglar steeling your evidence.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest deefadog

Thanks i know, it will be in the attic, i have to convince the wife :) Joke!

Will all these machines allow me to view the cameras at any time through an rf modulator or vcr on a tv and still record?

And are there any other similar spec machine's i may have missed? These are all the ones i could find in my price bracket, i can maybe go up a bit if you think there is a machine that would justify it?

Thanks

Archived