Security Installer Community

Remote Viewing CCTV System

Guest dan182uk

Guest dan182uk

Hi Peeps

Going to do a CCTV system at a shop with a DVR and a router and the owner wants to look at the system from his house so I have a couple of questions for you all as this is going to be my first time.

I take it the static IP address needs to be at the shop end. Do you enter the IP address into the router and then the router accesses the DVR automatically or do you enter the IP address into the DVR and then when you type in on your browser the IP address it will go through the router and bring up the images from the DVR.

I as you can probably see am a bit confused by this so if anyone can give a step by step guide on how to do this it would be great :)

Thanks

Hi Peeps

Going to do a CCTV system at a shop with a DVR and a router and the owner wants to look at the system from his house so I have a couple of questions for you all as this is going to be my first time.

I take it the static IP address needs to be at the shop end. Do you enter the IP address into the router and then the router accesses the DVR automatically or do you enter the IP address into the DVR and then when you type in on your browser the IP address it will go through the router and bring up the images from the DVR.

I as you can probably see am a bit confused by this so if anyone can give a step by step guide on how to do this it would be great :)

Thanks

You need to ensure that the client has a Static IP address for his broadband at the location where the DVR will be.

You need to speak to the techies from the DVR people to find out what Router is recommended (and then buy said router).

You need to configure the Router via a laptop, usually on site

Connect the router to the Broadband socket, connect to the DVR, and away you go.

Although you can follow the instructions for configuring the router it will probably be quicker and easier if you find out if the tech support from the DVR can whiz you through it over the phone when you are on site. They can then log into the DVR to confirm it is working (by entering the static IP address) :).

It is not that complicated although can be a little fiddly with the configuring.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I take it the static IP address needs to be at the shop end.

Either, or neither, or both.

Do you enter the IP address into the router and then the router accesses the DVR automatically or do you enter the IP address into the DVR and then when you type in on your browser the IP address it will go through the router and bring up the images from the DVR.

Neither. You enter the IP address of the WAN side of the router into a browser and the router can be set up to forward requests on whatever port the DVR uses to the DVR. It is fairly simple. I would recommend the use of a Netgear DG834 for the router, mainly for ease of setting up.

The other way of doing it id there is only one person ever going to access it is to set up a VPN between that persons residence and the DVR. This is basically a secure tunnel that can only be accessed by a particular person, rather than the aforementioned method which will allow everyone to access the DVR as if they are on the LAN.

There have been several discussions on this, they're about somewhere.

EDIT: Removed 'G' from router model number, no need for wireless. ;)

I would also recommend a Netgear DG834, if the DVR you are using is a Dedicated Micros thats the router they recommend because of its ease in setting up.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I don't think a VPN is necessary for such a situation. VPN's are generally for secure communication between PC's, such as accessing work network from home, reducing the possibility of intrusion.

For viewing a dedicated DVR, and keeping the freedom to access it from anywhere at anytime I think a VPN is OTT.

But I am open to recommendations........

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I agree, using a VPN is a bit OTT as the DVR generally has security built in. It's just that the VPN is a more secure way of connecting, although I wouldn't use one because, as you say, you lose flexibility but if you're just connecting sites together rather than viewing from anywhere then I would use a VPN

Archived