Security Installer Community

cctv

Guest saistec

Guest saistec

Hi guys, i'm in a planning phase of a big industrial site. i have to give the client a option to use RG cabling or Twisted pair cabling. i need to know the following

1) cost comparation

2) lifespan of the cable

3) weater resistancy

we have to trench 800m and install piping and manholes and my concern is we might get alot of rain and lightning but i want to save the client some money and install extra cameras. the total cameras on site will be 16 fixed and 4 ptz's

1. Depends where you buy your cable from but it should be cheaper to use UTP if you do it right.

2. Ask your cable supplier.

3. Ask your cable supplier.

2 and 3 are not questions ive ever been asked before and the it would all depend on the cable you use and where you get it from.

Dont go on this as i dont have anything to do with cctv, but i do have something to do with networking. If running cables outside, wouldn't you need to use STP and NOT UTP. Also, do the same distance rules that apply to networking also apply to cctv. i.e. 90 Meter max runs without any repeating device.

Trade Member

RG59 can be used up to 250m - (500m with video losses) it also is not waterproof and quite often corrossion will go up the end of the coax and the water absorbs all the way up the cable through time. I'm not sure if CAT5 is waterproof but using video baluns at each end (as you have to) will allow video transmission up to and above what you require (2.5km I was told) and you will also get away with running it alongside mains cables as there is no interference in the video signal. I might be wrong but your pan tilt zoom cameras will require mains feeds but it is important your cameras are fed from the same phase or otherwise you will get ground loop problems. The telemetry can be sent down the same coax you use for the video. You can get various types of coax ask your supplier.

Trade Member

Dont go on this as i dont have anything to do with cctv, but i do have something to do with networking. If running cables outside, wouldn't you need to use STP and NOT UTP. Also, do the same distance rules that apply to networking also apply to cctv. i.e. 90 Meter max runs without any repeating device.

No use UTP and duct grade at that, as afar as distance is concerned it depends on the Video balun type you use, (active or passive).

I might be wrong but your pan tilt zoom cameras will require mains feeds

You could well be wrong, PTZ motors are available in 24v AC versions aswell as mains.

Its very unlikly to that you will get moisture up a coax if its terminated correctly inside a suitable external camera housing, unless of course its damaged.

If your not sure about video over UTP Learn about it HERE

Maybe i sould take a look. I couldn't have been more wrong. :cry:

If you are going to run Cat5e outside, Mayflex sell external Cat5e which is supposedly more resiliant to UV light and weather, however last time I looked it cost around 4 x the cost of normal UTP.

Lee

If you are going to run Cat5e outside, Mayflex sell external Cat5e which is supposedly more resiliant to UV light and weather, however last time I looked it cost around 4 x the cost of normal UTP.

I just looked at using that for an overhead run of 4 cat5e cables across a farm but decided to use standard c5e in flexible tube across a catenary instead. The total run was about 150m.

We fit open cast mining sites with ptz cameras and all use RG59 coax in piping running over ground. Never had any problems since the cameras were fitted 5 years ago.

TBH though using one or the other would'nt make a difference.

!

Guest saistec
Hi guys, i'm in a planning phase of a big industrial site. i have to give the client a option to use RG cabling or Twisted pair cabling. i need to know the following

1) cost comparation

2) lifespan of the cable

3) weater resistancy

we have to trench 800m and install piping and manholes and my concern is we might get alot of rain and lightning but i want to save the client some money and install extra cameras. the total cameras on site will be 16 fixed and 4 ptz's

i've find that alot of technitians are afraid to use twisted pair type installations. and that this old technolofy are sort of forgotten. why?

Archived