Security Installer Community

cctv

Guest saistec

We fit open cast mining sites with ptz cameras and all use RG59 coax in piping running over ground. Never had any problems since the cameras were fitted 5 years ago.

TBH though using one or the other would'nt make a difference.

With a good installation you shouldnt have problems either scotty but i can say with confidence that provided your sourcing the correct components then a UTP installation should be cheaper. Especially if its a larger installation. Someone else mentioned that some installers are a tad nervous of using a more modern approach, which is what UTP & baluns are. Once youve used them you wouldnt think twice in the correct situation, but as always its horses for courses.

I would use coax if distance up to 200m and environment ok but for longer distances even upto 1000 meters(with correct kit of course)I would use twisted pair one advantage if you have long distance run its easier to leave extra pairs for additional cameras .

Paul.

'Unbalanced' co axial, and 'balanced' twisted pair transmission have been around far longer than I have (we're talking quite a long time here!).

Depending on the maximum length of cable runs, given the potential for earth loop hums on a large industrial site, and also the suggestion of lightning strikes and water ingress, active UTP is possibly going to be a slightly more attractive option throughout, although personally I would also seriously consider the flexibility (that's application, not bendyness) of using fibre optic cable.

It may be possible to copper from individual cameras to a small hub, and then fibre back to the main control point.

Any of the technologies can be made to work, but there will be cost variations with each.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived