Security Installer Community

CCTV and Part P

LeonThePro

Basically I am thinking of putting in some CCTV at my house and think it would be good learning experience for me to understand more about how the whole systems works and is put together.

Having read through Part P regs I am slightly confused.

Does the install of camera come under Part P? As your laying electrical cable to power it

I would then have to put in a PSU.

So am I right in saying that plug in PSU would notcome under Part P as longer as it goes to an existing sockect but a box PSU would come under Part P?

Damn I confusing myself again.

Thanks for any guidance. :hmm:

Basically, if it's on a plug then it doesn't come under part P.

As a rough rule of thumb(ish) - if it is wired in via a spur it may come in depending how you wire the spur up and where you site it. If it's in a kitchen or bathroom, or supplied from a new circuit, it's in the scope of part P. If it's just in the loft and connected to a spur from the ring that you fitted then it's not in the scope of part P.

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

So glad I've got about 40 metres of the old type 2.5mm T&E in the garage. Part P - overkill again - red tape.

So how many people are killed by dodgy electrics compared to on our roads by bad driving ?

Had a rather interesting chat with my local building regs department and all I could hear was him frantically scanning paper as I asked questions about what it restricted by Part P.

Also he couldn't answer all of my senarios that I put to him, he said off the record that most of them are cheesed off by having to deal with Part P as they had joined up to inspect building work not be Electricians.

So glad I've got about 40 metres of the old type 2.5mm T&E in the garage.

Doesn't mean anything, I've been using harmonised coulours since the beginning of last year.

Guest Gti Jazz Blue
Doesn't mean anything, I've been using harmonised coulours since the beginning of last year.

Black and Red = Cable was original and installed before Part P requirements :)

Black and Red = Cable was original and installed before Part P requirements :)

Why bother, red and black is now against BS7671 and has been since 1st Jan\1st Apr depending on where you're installing it and in my case (along with thousands of others), brown and blue = installed before part P requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived