Security Installer Community

Seriously Cheap Cameras

Guest Rockford

Guest Rockford

You've only got to check out eBay to see that there are some literally *impossible* prices on very basic CCTV stuff... HOW CAN it be possible to sell FOUR cameras and a DVR card for a PC for just

Perhaps the short answer is the price we pay here in the U.K., and the price at the factory door in Shenzhen or Fuzhou, are two completely different things.

On the face of it, the quality of equipment can often loosely be related to price (i.e. cheap retail price usually means cheap build quality).

However, if you consider that some factories in the Far East are producing cameras for some of the biggest names in the industry, the fact is that they are often supplying very good quality cameras, which are then subject to a number of mark ups and freight charges, which eventually arrive over here at a seriously inflated price.

I actually had an e-mail this morning offering me varifocal lenses at a price, which even I thought was a mistake :hmm:

Guest Peter James

Most of the cameras on ebay are cmos not ccd. You will only get what you pay for cheap cameras are usually exactly that cheap falling to bits crp.

There are some bargains to be had in the cctv world, the problem is there are too many far eastern manufactures out there competeing on price and ecconomising on components.

Ebay is possibly not the best place to buy your cctv, you will end up with a cheap cctv system not a good cctv system cheap.

Pete

Perhaps the short answer is the price we pay here in the U.K., and the price at the factory door in Shenzhen or Fuzhou, are two completely different things.

On the face of it, the quality of equipment can often loosely be related to price (i.e. cheap retail price usually means cheap build quality).

However, if you consider that some factories in the Far East are producing cameras for some of the biggest names in the industry, the fact is that they are often supplying very good quality cameras, which are then subject to a number of mark ups and freight charges, which eventually arrive over here at a seriously inflated price.

I actually had an e-mail this morning offering me varifocal lenses at a price, which even I thought was a mistake :hmm:

:yes:

what comes to price you thought is mistake --> it isn't BUT to buy them could be.. :lol:

we get our lenses from japan so we don't have to worry about the quality.

Guest Rockford
Most of the cameras on ebay are cmos not ccd.

Ebay is possibly not the best place to buy your cctv, you will end up with a cheap cctv system not a good cctv system cheap.

Pete

Ahhh CMOS instead of CCD, that'd explain a lot!

Oh heavens, I wouldn't be buying our CCTV from eBay... We're in the trade and use decent trade sources thank you very much!

thanks for your ideas!

Guest IM_Alarms
P

Should have gone to Specsavers!!!! :whistle:

Guest DingChavez

Remember stuff on ebay or other websites usually have zero to no tech support. If a camera goes bad, or a hard drive fails, you are pretty much out of luck.

Guest Rockford
Remember stuff on ebay or other websites usually have zero to no tech support. If a camera goes bad, or a hard drive fails, you are pretty much out of luck.

Like I said, come rain or shine, I know good Vs bad... there's no way I'm buying junk off eBay! :)

Like I said, come rain or shine, I know good Vs bad... there's no way I'm buying junk off eBay! :)

unfortunately you might get junk from your "trusted" CCTV dealer as well.

too usual here in coldshire.. that's why we import ourselves.

Archived