Security Installer Community

Static Ip Or Dynamic Dns For Remote Viewing Dvr

Guest DVRRemote

Guest DVRRemote

Hi! This post may help some folks that have questions about remote viewing and using a cable or DSL connection. It also answers some information about setup and static IP questions

Many of you may not know about Dynamic DNS and using this type of service to remotely connect to your DVR or CCTV. In many cases, there are lots of questions about Networking issues, Static IP and Dynamic IP issues, etc. In almost all cases, a Static IP is not required - even if the manual says so!

I wanted to let you know TZO.COM has some DVR related tutorials on using a DVR or CCTV camera system on a Dynamic IP. In many cases, Static IP's are either VERY EXPENSIVE or unavailable. Some broadband customers can only get a cable modem if they live too far from the Central Office for DSL. There are also some ISP's that will only provide dynamic IP's - they simply don't offer a static IP plan.

Using a Dynamic IP is much cheaper and easier to obtain. Instead of paying up to $1000 extra per year for a static IP - if you can get one, you can save by using DDNS.

TZO.COM has a DVR section at http://www.tzo.com/DVR

We have spent some time with various DVR's from GE Security, Bosch, Dedicated Micros, and //.National Installer.// and created tutorials on setting up the DVR for your network. Check it out and see how using our DDNS can save you money and get your DVR up and running quickly.

I think the DVR section will help you setup the DVR and router or PC with the DDNS. These tutorials also cover important networking issues such as DSL modems and Bridge mode, port forwarding, and remote administration of the router.

I hope this helps everyone!

http://www.tzo.com

THanks for providing a great forum!

Guest Cyberprog

In the UK static IP's are not available for Cable (Blueyonder/NTHell) but are available for DSL customers, usually as an paid for option costing a few pounds more a month, or if you use someone like Eclipse (if you signup, please use Cyberprog as a referrer, they now bribe me with money to pimp them) they'll give you as many IP's as you can justify or a no questions asked 2 or 3, iirc I have an entire /27 from them for one particular site.

• 1 month later...
... they'll give you as many IP's as you can justify or a no questions asked 2 or 3, iirc I have an entire /27 from them for one particular site.

err - next subnet available after /30 is /29 which leaves you with seven IP:s...

(one for network and one for broadcast.. and of course your router is going to need one as well)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived