Security Installer Community

Static Ip Or Dynamic Dns For Remote Viewing Dvr

Guest DVRRemote

Even if the DVR doesn't support DDNS, many routers ow has a DDNS setup area on them, such as Netgears etc.

Its funny you should say that...............

Just done a quote to connect 1 existing Videoswitch compact (9 way) to a broadband line via a "Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch" and i have stated that a static IP is a must. In light of your above post have i been incorrect and could actually go DDNS setup?

If i can how does this affect the set up proceedure that Videoswitch so kindly provide?

If this goes well i can forsee another complete install using the same DVR and a good profit ahead so its fairly important to me.

Doesn't matter what router you use, theoretically DDNS services work anywhere. You set up an account with a DDNS service (www.dyndns.org/ for example) and either the router or a piece of software on a machine on the network sends an update to the site every time the external IP address changes so they can automatically forward you from say site1.dyndns.org to the site you require as it always knows where it is.

Its funny you should say that...............

Just done a quote to connect 1 existing Videoswitch compact (9 way) to a broadband line via a "Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch" and i have stated that a static IP is a must. In light of your above post have i been incorrect and could actually go DDNS setup?

If i can how does this affect the set up proceedure that Videoswitch so kindly provide?

If this goes well i can forsee another complete install using the same DVR and a good profit ahead so its fairly important to me.

hi lurch,

i'm really struggling with this (so, i know whats new :cry: ) i am no network guru but fairly competant with pc's, i understand from these posts you can use a DNN service. if it operates its like gotomypc.com then you end up with the whole desktop available to whoever logs in. which is fine for use, but normally we dont want the client to play about with the kit

i'm totally fogged with 'embedded' dvrs like videoswitch, norbain etc. where to you 'insert' the bit of software or how to register it to make it work? as you cant make it run on the router can you?.

cheer's m8 for any help :)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi lurch,

i'm totally fogged with 'embedded' dvrs like videoswitch, norbain etc. where to you 'insert' the bit of software or how to register it to make it work? as you cant make it run on the router can you?.

cheer's m8 for any help :)

Yes, some (most?) routers support DDNS. You need to check the specs though as they don't necessarily support all DDNS services.

i'm really struggling with this (so, i know whats new :cry: ) i am no network guru but fairly competant with pc's, i understand from these posts you can use a DNN service. if it operates its like gotomypc.com then you end up with the whole desktop available to whoever logs in. which is fine for use, but normally we dont want the client to play about with the kit

It doesn't operate like gotomypc.com. The DVR basically runs a small webserver which can be acessed through a browser with the required plugin. You don't have to install software anywhere (usually).

A DDNS service is actually nothing to do with DVR. It's just a service that forwards a fixed domain name to a dynamic IP adress, allowing you to use it like a fixed IP address in that it's always in the same place. It doesn't do anything to the DVR or need anything altering\installing on the DVR software wise.

You don't install anything, it's already there when you buy the DVR.

It doesn't operate like gotomypc.com. The DVR basically runs a small webserver which can be acessed through a browser with the required plugin. You don't have to install software anywhere (usually).

A DDNS service is actually nothing to do with DVR. It's just a service that forwards a fixed domain name to a dynamic IP adress, allowing you to use it like a fixed IP address in that it's always in the same place. It doesn't do anything to the DVR or need anything altering\installing on the DVR software wise.

You don't install anything, it's already there when you buy the DVR.

many thanks for these replies they are really appreciated and i'm so sorry i'm so darned dimm :rolleyes:,

i'm not deep into networking protocols/configuration side other than 'peer to peer' stuff, but i understand that the DVR has its own fixed internal ip address used to access locally on the buildings network.

this address i assume, is then registered into the router assuming DDNS capability (i'm trying to look intellegent here - and failing misarably :cry: ). but if you still have a dynamic address presented to the internet how is this then tracked and updated i.e. how do you find it remotely? would you need a fixed ip a/d at say the Central Office server, or is this done by 'magics' in the DDNS software?

as an aside, one of my cleverer clients (than me :unsure: ) set up a VPN and uses this to access an LJD Leviathan DVR, and i beleive using a dynamic ip address, this is a windows based machine so access to internal network settings is easy. is this a better, worse or equivilant solution or is it the same thing?

thanks in advance for you patience guys - i have blueyonder cable/dsl at my home with a d-link dp-701p router (p = has a simple print server built in and really useful) for my pc and PS2 machines and us robotics 125mps access point which all works nice (really love the US Robs gear :P ).

i looked on the d-link site but could not see a reference to the DDNS option, so i asume its not in it :( so will have to get one that has to play about with - any recommendations? i can live without the print server for testing needs.

many thanks again

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The dynamic address (as mentioned above by me somewhere) is updated by a client on a local machine which tracks changes and updates the IP held against the domain name on the DDNS providers site.

A router that supports DDNS just means that it has this updating client built in. You can still have a DDNS service even if you don't have a router that says it supports DDNS.

DDNS doesn't have anything to do with the DVR. It's just the domain name linked to your dynamic IP. It's used to connect you, as someone on the internet, to your external dynamic IP address.

Your router also needs to have port forwarding set up which will receive requests from the internet for access to the router and is configured to send them to the router.

VPN's, don't go there yet, different and more complex kettle of fish and not required for this.

The dynamic address (as mentioned above by me somewhere) is updated by a client on a local machine which tracks changes and updates the IP held against the domain name on the DDNS providers site.

A router that supports DDNS just means that it has this updating client built in. You can still have a DDNS service even if you don't have a router that says it supports DDNS.

DDNS doesn't have anything to do with the DVR. It's just the domain name linked to your dynamic IP. It's used to connect you, as someone on the internet, to your external dynamic IP address.

Your router also needs to have port forwarding set up which will receive requests from the internet for access to the router and is configured to send them to the router.

VPN's, don't go there yet, different and more complex kettle of fish and not required for this.

All very true, especially VPN's (trust me, I've been there BIG TIME - linked 80 offices in 50 countries, plus hundreds of roaming laptop users!). :yes:

As for DDNS it's a solution to a problem that is best avoided in the first place. If you can get fixed IP (and you can) at a reasonable price, then do. Don't argue, just do it. Professional opinion. :ninja:

PS Only an amateur at alarms, not IT. :rolleyes:

All very true, especially VPN's (trust me, I've been there BIG TIME - linked 80 offices in 50 countries, plus hundreds of roaming laptop users!). :yes:

As for DDNS it's a solution to a problem that is best avoided in the first place. If you can get fixed IP (and you can) at a reasonable price, then do. Don't argue, just do it. Professional opinion. :ninja:

PS Only an amateur at alarms, not IT. :rolleyes:

I strongly agree with amatureandy, get a static IP address from day one.

DDNS services are ok but they are no where near fool proof and from time to time your newly assigned Dynamic IP address may not get updated or correctly forwarded so that you can

System Q Ltd.

Archived