Security Installer Community

Power Cuts - Help Needed!

Guest lorraine_9

Guest lorraine_9

When we have a power cut the internal bell sounds for a while then goes silent which is not a problem. The problem is when power is restored the external bell rings.

This is causing problems as I have a dog and am afraid to leave him alone in the house for any length of time in case this happens again, (twice in a month) he will eventually end up deaf!

Does anyone know why the external bell rings as power is resumed? Is there a way I can avoid it?

This happens even when the alarm is not activated as I hardly use the unit during the week.

I hope someone can help

Lorraine. :)

Hi ,

You don't say if / when you last had your alarm serviced .A healthy backup battery should take over powering your system when there is a power cut, and when power is restored , the battery will be recharged .

This isnt happening on yours , so a check-up is required.

Also , ask your engineer to shorten your bell time , to a max of 10 mins.

Regards.

:)

Guest lorraine_9

Thanks for your reply,

To my shame I haven't had it serviced since it was installed (the installer died suddenly, a family friend).

I've had it about 6 years but stopped using it about 2 years ago (got the dog instead!). Other than the problem stated I havent had any problems with it. How much are installers these days to install a new battery or is it something I could do myself?

Lorraine

Hi ,

You don't say if / when you last had your alarm serviced .A healthy backup battery should take over powering your system when there is a power cut, and when power is restored , the battery will be recharged .

This isnt happening on yours , so a check-up is required.

Also , ask your engineer to shorten your bell time , to a max of 10 mins.

Regards.

Hi ,

Changing the battery isnt hard , (but be aware - if you open the panel , there are hazardous voltages inside) take it to your local electrical factors and ask for a replacment (its usually a 12v 2.1Ah ).But you may have other faults.Ask around friends and relatives, someone will recommend someone, or get out the Yellow Pages.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply,

To my shame I haven't had it serviced since it was installed (the installer died suddenly, a family friend).

I've had it about 6 years but stopped using it about 2 years ago (got the dog instead!). Other than the problem stated I havent had any problems with it. How much are installers these days to install a new battery or is it something I could do myself?

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

As all the professionals on here say repeatedly, an alarm that isn't serviced probably isn't worth having for long.

If you don't have the engineering manuals (and you won't get them here) and the inclination and skills to do it yourself you have 2 realistic choices:

1. Give up, do without an alarm

2. Find a reputable alarm company to service and maintain it.

Good luck. :)

Lorraine,

It definately sounds like you need to get someome to check it over for you, you say you only use the system now and again, is that because your dog would set the alarm off? If so when you get an engnieer to visit, it may be worth seeing if you can get the PIR sensors replaced to pet friendly types, that way you can have the dog and the alarm working.

Guest lorraine_9

Thank you very much, will contact him tomorrow, help is always appreciated!

Lorraine

Call IC Systems or pm ian.cant he will be able to get your system sorted out.
Lorraine,

It definately sounds like you need to get someome to check it over for you, you say you only use the system now and again, is that because your dog would set the alarm off? If so when you get an engnieer to visit, it may be worth seeing if you can get the PIR sensors replaced to pet friendly types, that way you can have the dog and the alarm working.

Hi,

Yes the dog would set the system off as one of the PIRs is situated where the dog is allowed so I tend to just set the alarm when we are both out, I would love to be able to use it all the time.

I didnt realise you could get pet friendly sensors, how times have changed!

Thanks so much for your help.

Lorraine :)

Archived