Security Installer Community

Viewing Cctv On A Lcd-tv Monitor (ntsc)

Guest Nick

Hello all,

I have installed three sony ip camera's that work perfectly. I have also connected them to a inexpensive DVR (KTL-DVR) for local reordering. To monitor the DVR, there is a BNC output on the back of the unit which you then can attach to a monitor... I have purchased a LCD-TV to do the job, but can not get it to work. The TV wants to know what "channel" the DVR is broadcasting on, as it is a tv and only knows channels. Does anyone know what channel DVR's normally broadcast at? Or, if the TV will not work, will a BNC-RCA adapter work? Allowing me to plug directly into the tv's rca connection...

Thanks for your help,

Nick

If I'm right in thinking that the rca input is an auxilliary input, seperate from the TV tuner, then a BNC to RCA(phono?) adapter should do the trick.

Otherwise you will need a modulator to connect the BNC to the TV tuner.

If you don't know......ask.

You are right in that the inputs are independent.... and yes the RCA is a phono plug. So sorry for my American-English conventions. Thanks for the quick response!

Have a look at this web page; http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audiop...nectortypes.php

for a basic explanation of signal; types and connector types.

Basically you need to know what signal type the DVR has as output (e.g. composite) and what input signals your TV takes (e.g. broadcast, S-video, etc.).

If you find a match you need a suitable cable and maybe adapters.

If not you need a converter of some sort (box of electronics) or a different monitor......

So my understanding is that the BNC connection is not a signal that needs to be tuned, by a TV. Thus it is my understanding that I just need to monitor the in-line video. Since the TV has an RCA connection, that should be what I need. My local electronics shop has BNC to RCA adapters. Any reason why this would not work?

TIA,

Nick

So my understanding is that the BNC connection is not a signal that needs to be tuned, by a TV. Thus it is my understanding that I just need to monitor the in-line video. Since the TV has an RCA connection, that should be what I need. My local electronics shop has BNC to RCA adapters. Any reason why this would not work?

TIA,

Nick

RTFM first is always good advice. Both your DVR and TV will have simple diagrams there explaining the connectors.

Almost all theTV's in my house have all sorts of inputs: composite, sound, RGB, SCART, S-video etc.. The RCA style connectors usually come in threes and colour coded - yellow for video and red/white for stereo sound. Connecting to the wrong socket is not necessarily a good thing! :no:

Hi, as Brain has said. A few different ways of doing this. Basically the output from your dvr isn't a modulated frequency.. like bbc1 bbc2 etc, it's output is a video signal the same as your cameras.

One option is to buy something called an rf modulator, a digital one is best, these aren't over expensive and may save you some trouble. What these do is turn your video signal from the dvr into a frequency signal, the same as bbc1, bbc2 etc. The way they work is you connect the output of your dvr to it, usually a bnc to phono lead (rca), you can get a little all in one connector for this, then the tv antenna plugs into the rf modulator, then another lead (coax) back to your tv forming a loop, but introducing your dvr output as a tv channel, then you basically tune in your tv to the selected channel.

The joy of doing it this way is that if you have your tv antenna comming into an amp in the loft which is supplying several tv's, you can watch the cctv system from any of the tv's connected to it. If your dvr has a remote, you can buy remote extender kits to control your dvr which might be out of site in a cupboard whilst watching it on a tv.

Another way is to get a bnc to scart connector, these are normally leads, on end has a bnc which will connect to you dvr, the other scart end will connect into your to, tv obviously on av channel to watch the dvr.

The other method is using the phono leads, bnc to phono on the back of the dvr, which then goes through the rca lead to the tv.

Hope this helps, but those are basically the three choices

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived