Security Installer Community

Continuing College Next Year...

Guest MrTrim

I'm currently studying a C&G in Alarm Installation (and absolutely loving it) and I'm due to finish June this year.

I have made the decision to continue my education for another few years, but I'm unsure as to which direction would be best for an Alarm Engineer / Security role.

I notice alot of posters on here cover Fire Security, would it be more beneficial to study that next year, or my sparky course?

Also, is anyone aware of any places in the West Mids that do the Level 3 C&G in Alarm Installation?

Thanks in advance,

Trim

What about a C&G in electronic servicing? you can use that more widely across all security disciplines

Excellent, thanks for the feedback, I'll look into that,

Trim

I thought everybody at college these days did "media studies" and similar extremely useful courses :rolleyes:

Haha, I did something similar when I left school back in '99, that's why I've gone back again now :P

As "potential employers", would you look more highly at my application for a job if:-

A ) Qualified Level 3 C&G qualification in Alarms Installation, with a Fire Safety qualification too

B ) Qualified Level 3 C&G qualification in Alarms Installation, also training to be an electrician

C) Qualified Level 3 C&G qualification in Alarms Installation, and a qualification in electronic servicing?

Thanks muchly in advance, and sorry for all the questions,

Trim

It depends what job you were looking for.

Some companies concentrate on 1 or 2 disciplines, some all 4, it is down to you to decide what field you want to work in too, installation, or service, commissioning or sales?

Option A, limited to intruder and Fire systems

Option B, fire systems and electrical work

Option C, alarms and the possibility of any of fire, intruder, access and cctv.

I would say all options would be equal depending on the job you were applying for. A company that works in all sectors of security would probably be more interested in A and C.

You should have a good look through all of the recruitment agency websites for advertised jobs, most will tell you what qualifications you will need/are desired, and at the end of the day paperwork may get your foot in the door, but if after 3 months of employment you can't tell your ass from a screwdriver you would soon be sent packing. Experience and the willingness to learn and listen will teach you how to do the trade you want to do.

Being qualified to install/service alarm systems is really a small percentage of what makes an engineer, basically a foot on the ladder in the right direction. And I doubt the majority of us here have any qualifications as they didn't really exist in the year of the Neanderthal, what really becomes valuable are your personal skills, time keeping, people skills, professionalism, loyalty, common sense.....

The Fire safety course would not have much relevance to working with fire detection.

B or C

Try convincing the fish of that!

what's Marillion got to do with it???

Guest Andy_Wintles_pet_Monkey

Hey Trim! it's me, DDID!!! :bruce_h4h::)

Go for a Sparky course mate, Fire is an absolute doddle to pick up once you know your Intruder.

Archived