Security Installer Community

Problem With Dvr Remote Access With Netgear Router

Guest maximusimo

Guest maximusimo

Hi,

have a Netgear DG834 ADSL Router. I also have a 4 Channel Digital Video Recorder.

Now, in the Network Setup for the DVR it only gives me 4 options:

Accept Client [YES]

-MAC Address

-IP Address

-Subnet Mask

-Gateway

So i put in for IP address: 192.168.0.3

And Gateway is Router Address: 192.168.0.1

If i try and connect to the DVR using the LAN address - no problem, i can connect OK.

Now, when i type the router external address in the software cannot see the DVR.

I know port forwarding has to be set up and think i have it done properly but was wondering if there is anything anyone can suggest which might be causing me not to be able to connect properly remotely as this has to go into a clients tomorrow.

I would have thought that the static ip address get programed into the router and then the dvr connects to port 1, so when you connect via internet you are connecting to the router and the port should open up itself?? My thought's anyway, the static ip address will be in the router and then the ip address in the dvr will be the routers ip address...

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

I've covered what Pete has said on another forum here.

I think the relevant bit is;

I'm assuming you were on a machine on the same network (i.e. inside the network side of the router). You will have to dial through to your connection, either by using a proxy server to send your connection out to the internet then back in again, or by dialling up via a modem or mobile.

This is because the router won't send the request out to the internet and back in again on it's own. It sees your request for the external IP address of itself and forwards you to the internal side of itself (sort of, in essence, basically)!

To set up a proxy server for testing find a free proxy server (type free proxy server into Google, there's a good list comes up near the top) then go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then check the Proxy Server box and fill in the IP address and port details you got earlier. Should work then as this will force all your requests to go out to that server first then your IP address is seeing your request come from that proxy server, not your own machine on the LAN.

This means that your software isn't getting what it expects back (i.e. it gets the Netgear router page back instead of the DVR info) so doesn't work.

I would have thought that the static ip address get programed into the router and then the dvr connects to port 1, so when you connect via internet you are connecting to the router and the port should open up itself?? My thought's anyway, the static ip address will be in the router and then the ip address in the dvr will be the routers ip address...

Er, you mean you don't know? :P

Hows Hastings Stu?

Pricey. :rolleyes:

Guest maximusimo

HI Guys,

thanks for all your posts. I have port forwarding enabled for ports 14337-14338 to DVR which is ip 192.168.0.3

I never even thought about those reasons for going out and in on the same external address. Will try now with a dial up and post back.

Thanks again

Guest maximusimo

Again,

thanks to all you guys. If you hadnt mentioned about going in and out over the same ip my head would have totally been wrecked. Got all the rules had created in the router narrowed down to which one to use so couldnt be happier. Well actually I could: I can play pre-recorded events but these just show up on my monitor and not on the computer screen and cant figure out why.

And also, cant view live recording on computer, would this just be because I am using dial - up

Presumably you've configured the inbound services you require to access the DVR under the Firewall Rules and have given the DVR a fixed internal (LAN) IP address?

Or are you using a DMZ for the DVR? :hmm:

Remember, if you're putting this on Broadband it will need a fixed IP or Dynamic DNS. :ninja:

Guest maximusimo
Presumably you've configured the inbound services you require to access the DVR under the Firewall Rules and have given the DVR a fixed internal (LAN) IP address?

Or are you using a DMZ for the DVR? :hmm:

Remember, if you're putting this on Broadband it will need a fixed IP or Dynamic DNS. :ninja:

was gonna take the easy route and go for DMZ but yeah have configured the DVR with a fixed IP address and the inbound services under the Firewall Rules

Have a look at the attached pdf, it is for setting up a DM DVR with the exact router you are using, same principle, different ports.

Netgear_ADSL_Setup_Guide_v1.5.pdf

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived