Security Installer Community

Problem With Dvr Remote Access With Netgear Router

Guest maximusimo

Guest maximusimo

Thanks for that breff,

I have a DM setup at work and this document will come in handy even though I should have something like it at work

Hi,

have a Netgear DG834 ADSL Router. I also have a 4 Channel Digital Video Recorder.

Now, in the Network Setup for the DVR it only gives me 4 options:

Accept Client [YES]

-MAC Address

-IP Address

-Subnet Mask

-Gateway

So i put in for IP address: 192.168.0.3

And Gateway is Router Address: 192.168.0.1

If i try and connect to the DVR using the LAN address - no problem, i can connect OK.

Now, when i type the router external address in the software cannot see the DVR.

DG834's are quite easy, goto the router setup page, goto the Services section, choose add custom service, give it a name and enter the correct port settings (dunno what DVR your using so cant help here), select TCP/UDP in the type and click apply.

Goto the Firewall section of the router and choose add on the inbound section and add n the service name you just inserted above, enter the dvr's LAN ip where it says Send to and choose Always allow in the drop down box. Then apply. Thats should be it.

If you got any problems, find a different internet connection and point the following website ( http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scanner/ ) at your clients internet address. It'll show you if the DVR is routed properly through the router. Just cant do this from your clients internet.

Hope that helps in the slightest.

Post your DVR make, maybe you just need some more ports adding that aren't mentioned.

egg03064.gif

Guest DVRRemote

Just a hint of advice on the DVR setup you discussed. I'm glad you got it all sorted out, but you may run into an issue in the near future if and when the DVR is rebooted due to a power outage, etc

I see your DVR is at an IP of 192.168.0.3 - this is typically within the DHCP range of the netgear routers, and that means that your DVR may change IP's if its not set statically. I'd suggest setting the DVR to a higher INTERNAL LAN IP of 192.168.0.200

Then, in your router, change your RULES to forward the ports to 192.168.0.200

If you have trouble with port forwarding, I always suggest trying to DMZ the router to the static LAN IP of the DVR. Then leave the location and try to connect to the EXTERNAL WAN IP. If it works, then turn off the DMZ and perform individual port forwarding since it's better not to leave a router in DMZ mode

TZO does Dynamic DNS and we assist many folks in running their own DVR using a dynamic IP. We have recently started to support many different DVR's and have created some support documents on how to use the TZO DDNS and setup the DDNS, DVR IP, port forwarding, etc.

You can browse through our documents at http://www.tzo.com/DVR - You may find them helpful

Thanks JB but got it all sorted

Archived