Security Installer Community

S-video Vs Composite (bnc)

Guest stevey

Guest stevey

I see that the samsung 540 TVLine CCTV camera has an S-video out port as well as the standard BNC (Composite) socket. I assume that the S-video out will give a better picture, right?

If you open an s-video cable is it 4 seperate cores or just one core?

So if it is one core, is it possible to connect S-Video --> BNC telemetry receiver ---> Single core coax ---> BNC telemetry transmiter ---> S-Video TV. Will I get an RGB S-Video picture or a standard composite picture, or even a black and white picture at all times?

Many Thanks,

Steve

I see that the samsung 540 TVLine CCTV camera has an S-video out port as well as the standard BNC (Composite) socket. I assume that the S-video out will give a better picture, right?

If you open an s-video cable is it 4 seperate cores or just one core?

So if it is one core, is it possible to connect S-Video --> BNC telemetry receiver ---> Single core coax ---> BNC telemetry transmiter ---> S-Video TV. Will I get an RGB S-Video picture or a standard composite picture, or even a black and white picture at all times?

Many Thanks,

Steve

Compostive video uses one core and screen, S-video uses 2 screened cores, so no you cant use s-video on a telemetry receiver that uses composite video.

The Svhs output is there for using with high resolution recording equipment, like an SVHS Video recorder.

Guest stevey
Compostive video uses one core and screen, S-video uses 2 screened cores, so no you cant use s-video on a telemetry receiver that uses composite video.

The Svhs output is there for using with high resolution recording equipment, like an SVHS Video recorder.

What DVR's accept SVHS?

S-video keeps the chroma and Luma seperate throughout the cable run (composite is both, already combined).

Chroma is the colour info, Luma is the intensity info.

As these both work at different frequencies, when combined, the luma frequency is compressed hugely. When transmitted seperately through S-Video, it is kept as-is (until re-combined). A device capable of receiving an S-Video signal will not re-combine the two, but will use them both seperately to produce the picture.

This is how I recall it when I fitted a load of plasma screens in a surf shop (not CCTV - playing surfing ****).

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

None that i am aware of, in my experience of SVHS it was little more than a gimmick that is now way out of date.

Can't understand why you have come out with that Ian, you obviously don't understand how it differes from composite.

Guest stevey
Can't understand why you have come out with that Ian, you obviously don't understand how it differes from composite.

does svideo carry a RGB signal like scart does?

I fitted a few mux's that were SVHS compatible alongwith SVHS monitors for a major independant company that is now part of ADTand i can honestly say the picture quality was no better than using ordinary coax.

On top of that i serviced a few police cell area systems that were SVHS and again, in my opinion they were no better. This is why i can say it was nothing more than a gimmick that was used to sell systems as a "SVHS is a better product than ordinary coaxial set ups".

I accept that true SVHS meant using a camera with a SVHS output connected to a SVHS Mux using SVHS cables and SVHS monitor may have been the correct way to do it, but i wasnt designing, just installing or servicing. However from my experience SVHS was no better, no worse than an ordinary RG59 Composite video system, furthermore if SVHS was so good, so superior why isnt it used now?

furthermore if SVHS was so good, so superior why isnt it used now?

Betamax was better than VHS. Sometimes, good things just die!

I'm getting seriously confused here, so pity any newbies trying to follow this.

S-VHS is a higher resolution analogue tape format.

Super Video or S-Video is, as has already been correctly described by Lectrician, a connector that provides seperated chroma and luma signals.

The main reason why it never achieved anything more than gimmick status, is you just couldn't send a seperated signal for any useful distance. That and the perceived difference between composite and S-Video displays on an average monitor, just wasn't that obvious.

If you displayed both signals on a dual beam 'scope', you might be in with a chance of seeing something, but who in their right mind would ever do that :hmm:

Incidentally, V-2000 was better than Betamax .... and another one bites the dust ....!

Archived