Security Installer Community

Working As A Trainee?

Guest MrTrim

Guest MrTrim

I'm currently studying a C&G in Alarm Installation, and really want to get into the industry as soon as possible, but I'm somewhat concerned.

I'm on a fairly good wage for the work I do at the minute, and the only opening I've seen at the minute is working as a trainee on minimum wage :(

I don't mind working for minimum wage for a maximum of 12 months, but do many companys guarentee work, and is the increase in wages much after 12 months if you stay within the same company???

I don't want to work 12 months on

Guest MrTrim

Is it normal to take people on like this?

I know I've got to do it, but I'm really concerned about what will happen in 12 months time.

Once I've got 12 months experience, would I be "hot property" to another company? Are there many jobs going at the min?

I'm currently studying a C&G in Alarm Installation, and really want to get into the industry as soon as possible, but I'm somewhat concerned.

I'm on a fairly good wage for the work I do at the minute, and the only opening I've seen at the minute is working as a trainee on minimum wage :(

I don't mind working for minimum wage for a maximum of 12 months, but do many companys guarentee work, and is the increase in wages much after 12 months if you stay within the same company???

I don't want to work 12 months on

Trade Member

Do you think someone would want to invest a year of their time and money on you and then let you go???

If you are good or even only semi-decent there is a shortage of engineers and you should be able to become gainfully employed in any size or type of alarm company.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Work hard, pay attention and learn as much as you can.

Depending on what term they class you as a trainee, but its likely that your pay will increas, I would say a year is long enough before you get to work alone unaided.

The companies I have worked for have always reviewd my sallary each year based on the previous years performance.

I think its good to stay with a company for at least 3 years before moving up a positing into a new company, it looks better on the CV and shows that you have some degree of dedication, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to better your career

Work hard, pay attention and learn as much as you can.

:yes: good advice, alongside many other comments,made in previous posts.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Blimey 5 pound and hour, when i started in the industry i was paid 50 quid a week, or 1.25 an hour, that was only 11 years ago, and for an entire year!

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest G.J.M

Companies are'nt willing to pay someone a good wage to stand around watching an engineer or doing basic work.

Until you have enough experience to go alone and make the firm money,you can't expect to get full whack.They would be a revolt if this happened.

When i started 14 years ago,i was on a YTS

Archived